Thread: Possibly sharing a container with friends

Default Possibly sharing a container with friends

Hi all,

Working a little in advance as I don't actually have my visa yet, but, we're hoping to go to NZ in October, a similar time to some Kiwi friends of ours are planning to move back. Sharing a container has been mentioned but they are moving to Auckland and we're planning on going to Wellington. Would a company be willing to deliver half the container contents to Auckland and half to Wellington? Is that likely to be very expensive?

Thanks
    Laura

Most shipping companies offer free delivery within 30 miles of the arrival port so if the container arrives in Auckland first it may be a bit pricey! Having said that, there is no harm in asking.
    Last edited by Kensington; 27th February 2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Speling

I should think getting it delivered to one port, remove half the contents and then get it shifted by road would be the way to go. If you're with a big company like Maersk you would probably be able to deliver the container back to another port rather than ship it back empty.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would imagine that the removal company would unpack the container at the port and then send the items on individual vans to their destination.

Similar to how some companies will "shuttle" your stuff in vans to pack the container at their facility (if you have access issues etc - one shipper tried to convince us that we needed this when we didn't).

Or, you might be able to unpack the container yourselves and then road it to your home.

They would have to ship a half empty container (by road or otherwise) with a "false wall" to prevent stuff moving around, so it would be easier to unpack it onto a normal removal van at that point.

Thanks all, it sounds like it will definately be worth investigating fully when the time comes.