Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Time frame to be in NZ for Resident Visa?

Default Minimum Time frame to be in NZ for Resident Visa?

Hi All,
    Whats minimum time period we have to be in NZ in Resident visa? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

regards,
    nz_newbie.

Do you mean, how long do you have to get to NZ after your visa is placed in your passport? The basic thing is that within six months of being told you are Approved, you must pay the migrant levy and send in your passport to have the Residence visa (the blue sticker) applied. You must activate the visa by arriving in NZ and presenting your passport to be stamped at Immigration at the airport within 12 months from the date on the blue sticker.

Or are you asking about minimum times to live in NZ after arrival to establish commitment and gain PR? http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Sorry I'm slightly confused,

Do you mean how soon can you be in NZ? - You can enter any day/time within 1 year.

If you meant how much minimum time you need to be in NZ for qualifying for Permanent Residency visa, then I guess its 1 and 1/2 year (i.e. 184 days in each year) but I think there is no guarantee unless you apply for Permanent Residency from within NZ.

Once I arrive in NZ, activate my visa, are there any restrictions that I have to be in NZ for "x" number of months?

Ha! JandM, we had similar thoughts running in our minds! I just left the window open for a while and replied

Per my understanding there is no conditions on Resident visa. You can stay for how many ever days you wish before visa expiry. Above link provided by JandM has the conditions to be met in order to apply for Permanet Residence.

I might be wrong as well... let's wait to here from experienced members...

From the day of landing in NZ, you have two years to qualify for PR visa and to you need to be in NZ for 184 days in each of the year. There is another option, if you can keep NZ tax resident status, its only 41 days in each year.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    Hi All,
    Whats minimum time period we have to be in NZ in Resident visa? Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

regards,
    nz_newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by nz_newbie View Post
    Once I arrive in NZ, activate my visa, are there any restrictions that I have to be in NZ for "x" number of months?
    See the link I gave above. You have two years' travel conditions, and during that time you can come and go freely. But after that time, you need either to have qualified for Permanent Residence, usually done by having spent 184 days of each 12-month period immediately before you apply in the country, or else you need to renew your travel conditions. How long you would be allowed would depend on how long you had spent in NZ. It's all on that link, or on the further links from the sidebar on that page.

Further to what JandM said:

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    ... But after that time, you need either to have qualified for Permanent Residence, usually done by having spent 184 days of each 12-month period immediately before you apply in the country, or else you need to renew your travel conditions ...
    or else you can stay indefinitely in NZ without having to ever renew your Resident Visa (in this case, if your travel conditions expire and you are outside of NZ, you cannot get back in on the same Resident Visa)

In short, your Resident Visa allows you 2 years of free travel in and out of NZ (i.e. 2 years from the day you first enter NZ on the Resident Visa). After that, you either:
    1. Renew Travel Conditions (see eligibility requirements) OR
    2. Apply for the Permanent Resident Visa (see eligibility requirements) OR
    3. Never leave NZ and continue living in NZ legally on your Residence Visa (already eligible to do this with a valid Residence Visa)

@JandM and others, please correct me if I am wrong.

Until recently, I would have agreed with you completely, but there seems to be a bit of query now over your point 3. While all the rules still show this as being true, there also seems to be a quite strong push from INZ to get those who are eligible to change their Resident visa to Permanent Resident to do so.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast