Thread: 6 months in

Default 6 months in

Hi All,

Well, tomorrow we will have been Kiwis for 6 months.

The journey from Western Australia to Wellington has been easier for us that many forumites - as Australian Citizens we could get automatic PR so we didn't have all the visa hoops. We did however share shipping dramas, budget blowouts etc. All in all 3 humans, 2 cats and 2 dogs made the journey.

All in all we landed on our feet. My other half did a reccie before we arrived and we bought a house before we left Oz. I hadn't even seen it, which was very trusting I thought. I had a job to go to as a doctor at Wellington Hospital (no relocation package for junior docs unfortunately), and I had some family here to help us settle in. While my other half initially wasn't working, we decided we needed some extra cash and she got a job at the local Bunnings 3 days a week.

Over all it has been a positive move.

Things we love:
    The fresh clean air - it has made my son's asthma all but disappear and we love standing on our deck and breathing it in.
    Walking - living in Melrose I can walk to the hospital everyday (a 5km) round trip. I get my exercise in for the day and it takes less time than the car commute I had in Perth.
    Friendliness - We have really been embraced by NZers and have felt very welcomed
    Early childhood education - my 3.5year old's day care is astoundingly good. In Perth daycare was a holding pen for children essentially, here Sam is learning and thriving.
    The views - our house looks over the sea. Views like that in Oz would cost over a million $$.
    Housing here is cheaper than where we are from, so mortgage pressure is lower (still there, but lessened)
    Time - with short commutes and walking more often I get to spend more time with partner and child. As a family we have really become closer.
    Diary food - the milk and cream here is gorgeous.

Things I miss
    Heat - I miss seeing hazy lines coming off the road in 39 degree heat and feeling a bite from the sun.
    Friends - Skype makes it easier
    Italian and greek groceries - hard to find and expensive when you do
    The smell of eucalyptus trees and the sound of kookaburras

Things I wasn't expecting
    Moving costs - I thought I had it all budgeted out, but there were unforseen expenses and it generally cost a fortune
    Power/Gas - arriving in winter meant massive power bills that we weren't quite expecting
    Grocery costs - a little more than expected, though Oz grocery prices are pretty similar now.

Our initial plans were to move for 4 years (until I finish speciality training) and then see. At this stage, I can see us staying in NZ, though it is still early days.

Corinne

We hear so much about kiwis heading to Oz it is good to hear the reverse situation. Glad you are enjoying it.

Glad you're having a good time.

Congrats Corinne and hope you love NZ more and more

Glad you are settling in nicely.

Excellent post, long may your happiness in NZ continue.
    :O)