Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo/wooden spoons?

Default Bamboo/wooden spoons?

We're in the process of sorting out what we will and will not bring with us. We have some wooden/bamboo cooking utensils, brand new and never used; would these be allowed through customs, or would they possibly be a problem?

You're fine. I brought all of my bamboo stuff.

Okay, good! I figured, but wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
    We're in the process of sorting out what we will and will not bring with us. We have some wooden/bamboo cooking utensils, brand new and never used; would these be allowed through customs, or would they possibly be a problem?
    It's not so much getting it through customs but more through biosecurity!Check the MAF web site re product specific regulations. It will depend on the the particular wood, country of origin etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    It's not so much getting it through customs but more through biosecurity!Check the MAF web site re product specific regulations. It will depend on the the particular wood, country of origin etc.
    While that might be true, I'm not sure how rigorous they are about this. I have many bamboo bowls, spoons, trays, skewers, etc and I listed them all on the declaration. I thought they might be inspected so I put them in a separate box so they would be easy to find. They didn't ask where the bamboo was from; they didn't look in the box; they didn't ask to see the box. I listed on my declaration every item that I had that was made of wood, the kind of wood it was made from and put it all in a separate section in my container. They didn't want to see anything, not pine, not oak, not bamboo, nothing. They didn't ask me one question about any wood products. What they wanted to see were all of the wheels on our bikes, strollers and wagons, all of our baskets, the cat furniture, anything that I had described as "BBQ" related and the Christmas boxes. I think the more descriptive you are on your declaration and the more organized you are in your packing gives them an idea about how inquisitive they need to be about the specifics. I cleaned every questionable item in pine sol, wrapped it in plastic and it went super smooth. I may have just had a lucky experience but I think they're not that worried about bamboo spoons and cutlery trays.

Might be different at various times, locations etc.
    We were asked about it and answered as good as we could without having substantial 'proof'. Mist was not inspected but our wicker baskets and our drums because of their skins. In the end it all passed...

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Might be different at various times, locations etc.
    We were asked about it and answered as good as we could without having substantial 'proof'. Mist was not inspected but our wicker baskets and our drums because of their skins. In the end it all passed...
    My drum failed, in that they wanted a silly amount for it to be cleaned so had to bin it, kind of wish I payed it now

Ive got some lovely large paua shells (originally from NZ), that Ive got concerns about. I cant prove they are actually from NZ. Ive had them over 20 years and they are on display indoors (and get washed regularly). The only info I can find is that shells are on the no-no list. Anyone have any advice about these?

I'll be interested to read replies to your question as I've wondered about my kete (woven Maori bags) that are from NZ. Am I going to have difficulties bringing them back to NZ?

Evening all,

Got another query for you....I have a beautiful candle that someone got us for our wedding so it has got great sentimental value as well as reminding OH when anniversary is!! It has been mentioned that MAF may pounce on this??? Any advice my lovely forumites please???

Nicky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast