Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5th worst place to live in the UK

Default 5th worst place to live in the UK

For all those who have just watched Phil and Kirsty on "The ten worst and best places to live in the UK"....YES, unsurprisingly Middlesbrough came in at the 5th worst place to live in the UK.

So nobody else ever consider asking me...ever...why I want to go to NZ!

Smoggy boy

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Milliemoo

Hee hee - I live in the best place in the whole of the uk !! (Bourough of Epsom and Ewell)

No-one wonder you came back twice!!!

Well, we're in the 3rd best place - Harrogate! Does anyone out there want to buy our house??

Kate

I loved one of Phil's descriptions.

This place is so full of old people it's positively creaking

PS this wasn't Harrogate, at least I don't think it was.

Ah but only Middlesbrough town centre. Once you get out of town towards MArton and then on to North Yorkshire it's beautiful.

(Okay, so I *am* slightly biased having been borin in Marton then moved to Castleton in North yorks, but the point is still valid )

It's also valid that towns such as hartlepool and stockton and billingham live more in the shadow of industry than Middlesbrough does, but to give it a lower rating still the vast majority of the surrounding area come to middlesbrough for a pub-style night out, hence the slur of a town full of drunken fatties.

In addition whilst not being a horrible place to live, there are worse very close to us, it has few socially redeeming features. That is, there's not much worth doing.

Overall I would sort of agree with the positioning of 5th using the scoring system they applied, but I know from first hand experience of both visiting and living across the UK that there are much worse places to live.

For Instance I thought that Liverpool and Manchester would be in the top 5, but they both have redeeming features that Middlesbrough doesn't (like excellent museums, bars, restaurants, galleries).

Anyway, I'm off anyway, but I also think that nowhere else in the UK has sufficient pull for me to move there rather than to emigrate.

Plus.....just another thing that annoyed me, Phil described harrogate in terms of All Creatures great and small (Thirsk) and Heartbeat (Glaisdale) when both of those places are way closer to middlesbrough.

We get a lot of bad press and very little good. There are a lot of good places to live that are overshadowed in part by industry ("clouds of smelly chemicals" Phil? I think you may be hearing from the Environment Agency on that one, This area is heavily patrolled and policed for emissions) and an industrial style population who have the tendancy to live for the weekend and drink a lot of beer.

Am I really defending Middlesbrough?

Would i chose to come and live here? If not for family, then no. Are we coming back, if not for family, then no.

Do i want my kids to grow up here, no.

Nuff said.

Paul, I reckon you should be pleased with 5th

(only joking, Middlesbrough is one of the few proper places - ie. with a football ground - that I've never visited)

Good point it could have come out worse for us smoggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast