Thread: Tattoos?

Default Tattoos?

Hi everyone,

A thought that just occurred to me! It may be a strange question but I'm hoping to get answers on anything that occurs to me. How are tattoos received in NZ, specifically in teachers? I have tattoos on my forearms, nothing rude or anything lol!

Thanks x

Depends. NZ is apparently, the most tattooed nation on earth. So nothing unusual, to have them. However, some people do them better than others and some people carry them better than others.

I have some ink, but if they were on my forearms, I would wear a long sleeve for my first interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    I have some ink, but if they were on my forearms, I would wear a long sleeve for my first interview.
    This is probably true in any new place you are but I would definitely agree with this. It depends where you are in NZ but I have found that some people are very judgmental towards tattoos. It would be better to start out not having that as a distraction.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I have seen more ink here than anywhere else I've lived. It is prevalent and proudly displayed. That isn't to say that it's widely accepted, but I don't think there's as much prejudice/judgement towards people with tattoos here than in the UK or US (in my experience).

However I would definitely be discreet initially, especially in and interview situation or the classroom. Just to get the lay of the land first.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought the same, long sleeves at interview and in the classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by hcall View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have few tattoos and piercings which I hide during interviews but they are not too obvious . However I have seen some of my colleagues that have tribal (or colorful) ones.

Quote Originally Posted by hcall View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

If you want to wear long sleeves at interview then make sure your interview is in June, July or August and not the middle of February.

Basically if you want to see more tatts than NZ, I think you would have to go to a US jail. Some of the Gangs here have Gang tatts on their faces.

Cheers
    G