Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Tuition

Default College Tuition

Hello,

Wondering if anyone might be able to give us some info on the average tuition increase at universities? Here in the US it is out of control and we figure it would cost us minimum 250,000 to send our 2 year old to uni in 16 years. We are hoping/looking forward to tuition that we can actually afford.

Thanks!

You can find the prices for different courses on the websites of each uni.., our kids have paid on average around 5.500NZ$. It depends on how many papers you're doing, since every paper has a price.

Haha I think it's cheaper over here but surely you can't predict how much prices will be in 16 years' time?!?

It depends on how many papers you're doing, since every paper has a price.
    Just to clarify with the original poster, the term 'paper' means 'course' ie. how many courses you're taking.

Be mindful that degree education doesn't offer the guarantee of a better paying job as it use to 20 or 30 years ago. After all, China didn't become #2 world economy when over 90% of the population there doesn't have a degree education. As Einstein once quoted, "Creativity is more powerful than knowledge".

Might be true, but not everyone is a creative or 'hands on' person.

My son is about to start his first year of Uni and his total course and admin fees for the full first year of study is $5700. That total excludes any text books or equipment he may need.

I have been doing a couple of papers extramurally through Massey and pay between $550 and $700 per paper and study materials are included in those fees but not the cost of prescribed text books. I find my text books are all between $100 and $180 each.

I compared University of Auckland with UCLA. Tuition in U.S. $, just tuition: UCLA - 11,000 Univ of AKL - $4400.

Might be true, but not everyone is a creative or 'hands on' person.
    I'm not so sure planning 15 or 20 years in advance for your children is what people should be doing. It may be that they never want to go the academic route and thus, put hardship on the parents saving.

Consider both situations. Even a person that isn't creative or hands on could still make a decent living without academics. There's only so much work that can be done sitting behind closed doors. Food still needs to get on the table somehow and houses still need to be built. Speaking of houses, the problem we have is society puts too much emphasis on academics and has simply forgotten tried and true methods of the past. For eg. it's been talked about in NZ how city councils have become top academic heavy with a closed mind that new ideas that work overseas, are simply not embraced here in NZ. I was watching a TV program on NZ's electricity system and 1 critic was explaining how difficult it is for home owners to get consent to produce their own electricity, which is by no surprise how simple designed new houses are in NZ. (obtaining building consent the easiest way possible with the least hassles and strings attached).

The other relevant question about eduction - is it that important a degree from 1 college/uni is that much better than from another place, to warrant paying 2 or 10 folds the price? Where's the emphasis on producing personality skills?

Off the topic slightly, but I have come across a significant number of people who continue to take courses at university here whilst working full-time, for professional and personal development.

@ girlwithanewf My sister can't stop taking degrees here (she is on her second here with degrees already in Medicine and postgrad Medic specialization from Britain). It is quite encouraged where she works. Though myself I think she is just being Scottish (where we are from originally )
    Last edited by dede; 5th February 2012 at 04:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast