Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods you can't get

Default Foods you can't get

we will be moving to NZ April 2012, we are a family of 5. So just wondering how you find the supermarkets compared with UK, and I don't necessarily mean prices but availability of things.

Can you get you the usual vegetables, spinach, broccoli, kale, celery, and all the usual fruits as well as some exotic ones? pineapples, persimmons, sharons, bananas, can you also get dates?

A supermarket in NZ looks like a supermarket in the US or Europe - even some of the brand names are the same. Yes to the fruits and veggies plus you'll probably see a few fruits you're not familiar with. You'll also be able to buy fruits/veggies (seasonally) from roadside stalls.

Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    A supermarket in NZ looks like a supermarket in the US or Europe - even some of the brand names are the same.
    Besides that OP asked re UK, I really would only agree on the literal content of 'looks like a supermarket in ... Europe'. We have changed our consumption quite substantially to what we were used in Europe. E.g. bread is available both here in NZ and where we were from but it is very different. And this applies to most food groups. Fruits and veggies is more alike but there a different consumption is because of a more seasonal shopping here.

Quote Originally Posted by emma1973 View Post
    we will be moving to NZ April 2012, we are a family of 5. So just wondering how you find the supermarkets compared with UK, and I don't necessarily mean prices but availability of things.

Can you get you the usual vegetables, spinach, broccoli, kale, celery, and all the usual fruits as well as some exotic ones? pineapples, persimmons, sharons, bananas, can you also get dates?
    Sorry, but can't resist- although NZ might be a bit 'backwards' in some regards. it is not like we're living in a completely undeveloped country! The question reminds me a bit to what someone ion one of the children's schools was asking when we moved..., if people would wear straw skirts over here :-)

I've been resisting that same temptation all day

You will find the freezer section devoid of variety when it comes to frozen microwave meals.

Thankfully.

We gave up on using a microwave more than twenty years ago as we only ever used it to defrost food. So, the lack of chill-cooked foods wasn't a real problem.

I did have to relearn microwave cooking when I first arrived and staying in rented accommodation as I would either grossly under / over cook food!

There's none of the pre-made meals and foods that take up 3 aisles at your local tescos or sainsbury apart from a bit of fresh pasta, pizza or garlic bread.

We've not struggled to find anything since we left but variety is certainly lacking. I saw a comment somewhere else the other day about the cream available in the UK, there were 17 different types available at Tescos but over here you'll find only 3 or 4.

We eat a lot more healthy her.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    The question reminds me a bit to what someone ion one of the children's schools was asking when we moved..., if people would wear straw skirts over here :-)
    And then you get here and some people actually do!

Daniela

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast