Thread: Job Offer

Default Job Offer

Hello All,
    So my Husband was offered a job for an IT company in Auckaland last September. We ummed and arrred a bit and accepted the offer in October, got all our paperwork together by November, medicals in December, and lodged the visas 9th, visas completed 4 days later!!! arrrrrrrgggghhhh.

So my question is, how relocation packages normally look for NZ? His company, are only providing for his flight (we have 3 daughters) so we'll still need to buy 4 extra flights ourselves rather expensive, they are not helping with shipping costs, they paid for the visa application processing but refuse to pay for the police checks or medicals? They are not paying subsidizing any accommodation either.

I suppose I am comparing the relocation package to what I received when I went to the middle east and they pretty much provided for everything, so am I right in assuming NZ relocation packages are a bit different.

Being realistic about it, any relocation package to NZ is a rare beast indeed. Many people have made the move with NOTHING.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

It is rare, though not unheard of. And especially in these economic times when companies are trying to shave as many unnecessary expenses as possible.

You could always ask for a little more. That's what I did and got a little bit of help (10 days' accommodation and car hire). But this was a small company and I was dealing directly with one of the business partners. Larger companies may have less flexible policies.

To give you an example though, I was initially talking to Air NZ and was told they don't offer relocation assistance, either domestically or internationally. If it had come off I would have at least asked for flights!

This economic climate has changed things enormously. I had a domestic (UK) relocation package with my last company and then a nice ex-pat package when they moved me to the US. But they're shaving corners off left right and centre now due to the economy.

I guess it depends on the company. Not quite sure about the norm but when OH got offered a job in a different city in NZ ( we were already in NZ for about 6 months) he was given a lump sum relocation allowance, travel cost as well as 4 weeks accomodation.

There was not flight cost as we were already in country but our migration cost was reimburse back to us. The entire cost right from the EOI fees from 2 years prior of him being hired right down to the migration levy.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. The worse answer is only a no.

Amy

Hi,

My first thought reading your post was that you are not being offered a great deal at all, but given the feedback from others realise that we must have been very very lucky indeed as the company I work for paid for nearly everything, including accommodation on arrival for a few months.

The only thing we had to pay for, in terms of relocation, was to bring our dog and cat over. Oh, they also didn't pay for the visa applications, medicals and police checks but that was small in comparison to flights and shipping.

I agree about the Middle East, having worked there as well and I wouldn't generally expect the same expat deal as you possibly got there.

I would suggest trying to negotiate at least your flights and some shipping costs, but as Manks has highlighted the economic climate has changed in NZ quite a lot in recent years.

Worth a try though.

PM me if you want any more info.

Good luck