Thread: Are all jobs advertised? Whats the policy?

Default Are all jobs advertised? Whats the policy?

Hi all,

I have been digging seek and trademe for some time now.
    I heard that there are plenty of job vacancies in local newspaper as well. I was wondering how to get access too them.
    I wonder if these jobs are different, and not in seek and trademe.
    I have a bunch of questions to people with some experience here.
    Do all vacant positions need to be advertised? What is the govt policy?
    Can't some jobs just be given to a suitable candidate without letting others know?
    and a BIG one, are all jobs available in the whole country are in seek or trademe?

Cheers

There is a lot of who you know not what you know going on here. There doesnt seem to be any hard and fast rules although there is talk of equal opportunities but no real policies on it. Government jobs seem to advertise a lot more but again not sure of the policy there in.

Quote Originally Posted by MK33 View Post
    Do all vacant positions need to be advertised? What is the govt policy?
    Can't some jobs just be given to a suitable candidate without letting others know?
    and a BIG one, are all jobs available in the whole country are in seek or trademe?

Cheers
    I think the process depends largely on company policies like some government organizations which have the need to advertise compulsorily; I have come across some private companies (couple of them in last month) which don't advertise the role but some recruiters are aware of such job positions (you may not find every candidate referred to such roles by recruiter), few companies that I have come across just go by personal references to fill up the gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by MK33 View Post
    I heard that there are plenty of job vacancies in local newspaper as well. I was wondering how to get access too them.
    Here a very comprehensive list of NZ newspapers:
    http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/nz.htm

And no, one doesn't need to advertise vacancies.

Permanent government roles all need to be advertised, but if they already have a suitable candidate internally they will generally only do this on their intranet or department website not on www.jobs.govt.nz or other places.
    Recruitment agents will try to fill from their existing candidates before advertising, especially with contract roles.
    Private can and will do what they choose.

Seek and Trade Me are the two most prevalent websites (aside from www.jobs.govt.nz) but many adverts are duplicated.

One thing to be aware of is that it does not seem to be standard practice to wait until the closing date has passed before considering the applications. So probably worth getting applications in early rather than sending them at the last moment.