Thread: Importing a Caterham Super 7 from the U.K.

Default Importing a Caterham Super 7 from the U.K.

Hi,
    I have a 1990 Caterham that I have owned for over 10 years. I would love to bring it with me when I arrive (with residence).
    BUT, I do not have any emissions, homologation or fuel consumption paperwork, as the car was built from scratch. I do have the registration document, proof of purchase and MOTs with emissions readings from the machine that tests the exhaust.
    Can anyone help me to ascertain what (if any) paperwork I will need to get. Caterham cannot help at all!
    Kind Regards
    FrankCaterham1.jpg

I imported a scratch-built car in 2003 and although it was fully registered in the UK it still had to go through the entire certification process as if I had built it in NZ. You work with a local certifier who inspects the car and tells you what needs doing. When it's all done to his satisfaction he arranges a chassis plate and VIN number. Then you take it for a warrant (MOT) and registration.

The list of jobs was not too onerous but that does depend on the kit and the build quality.

FYI:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/

From their FAQ -

Can I import a modified vehicle?
    The most up-to-date information can be found on the NZTA website for importing vehicles. Should your vehicle be from a manufacturer that builds less than 500 per year, the vehicle is scratch-built, or modified from standard (see Certification Threshold Guide), then it will need to be LVV Certified by an LVV Certifier before it can be driven in New Zealand. Any information you may be able to obtain showing UK SVA or Australian ADR compliance will be useful to the LVV Certifier, but does not guarantee compliance in NZ.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 2nd February 2012 at 12:29 PM.