Thread: Maternity Care Costs / Pregnant Wife

Default Maternity Care Costs / Pregnant Wife

Hi there

My wife is 4 months pregnant and we are intending to head back to NZ before the birth.

I am a kiwi citizen and she is applying for a PR visa.

However due to the waiting time on the visa there is a risk we may not have her visa back befor the date that she cannot fly (30-32 weeks from other threads).

Does anyone know whether, if we simply go on a tourist visa, whether she and our baby will be eligble for free health / materinty care?

We would then finish the application while we were in NZ.

Thanks

Hi

As far as I know partners of Citezens or PR even if they do not have it are entittled to free care, I presume as your baby will be born in NZ free care also other than GP appointments which we all pay.

The ruling came into effect in 2009/10 when I was working in the DHB as it meant a loss of income for our DHB!!!

Yes, you're all right. See page 6 - 7 of this pamphlet. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...C8E/0/1121.pdf

And in my (so-far) limited (38 weeks) experience the midwifery care is awesome.

You will have to pay for prescriptions (iodine is a common prescription and I've recently been put on iron/vitamin c) but they are only $3 for a 3 month supply.