Thread: Schools

Default Schools

So I'm curious what have you found to be the main differences in education? and in general how have you found the education system, and how have your children done?
    What are the secondary school exams taken?

Thanks
    Emma

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualificatio...ications/ncea/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seconda...in_New_Zealand

There are many old threads discussing various NZ schools, and NZ education in general. They'll come up if you use the Search box, top right.

Can answer any questions about Year 7 onwards.

In my experience:

Country rural school in Hebrides and central city school, central belt, Scotland, to suburban Christchurch school. School in Christchurch same size as central belt in Scotland. In Scotland boys were in Gaelic medium.

School feel more like rural school experience. Teachers much friendlier than city counterparts.
    I haven't yet seen an NZ school without green playing fields, unlike city schools in UK.
    No school lunches in NZ, although PTA does sausage sizzle once a week.
    All schools have fantastic outdoor play equipment, climbing frames, monkey bars, flying foxes.
    School here has use of community pool next door during daytime, so swimming every day in terms 1 and 4
    Year runs Feb to Dec.
    Does not seemed so rushed to meeting curriculum ideals as in uk.
    Boys fidgetting seen as a fact of life here, not something to be classed as bad behavior in early years. In uk one of my children prevented from doing gym as fidgeting and not doing work. Here the solution would be to send child for run in playground.
    More emphasis on basics, reading and maths basic facts here.
    Recognition that one style of learning does not suit all. My son was readily classed as having behavioral problems by more than one teacher in UK...always sorted out after a battle when his unilateral deafness was taken into account. Slowness to read in uk classed as lack of application, here it is recognized he has special learning needs and reading is difficult for him, possibly dyslexic, but working to get the knowledge out of him by other means than reading aloud and writing which he finds difficult, supporting him with plans and organization support. Tested and found has high IQ, good problem solving and advanced vocabulary. This happened without my battling, which was always required in UK. He also now has support from Teacher for th Deaf, which did not happen in UK. I have been very impressed, particularly as this has all taken place in the background of the challenges presented by the Christchurch Earthquake.

My twin sons started here in year 4 and are now starting Year 6. Both enjoy school, though do usual complaining, instead of daily sore stomach complaint from one, have only had this twice since arriving here...both prefer it. Their comment is that they move a lot more and do not have to sit still to learn.

This is based upon my limited experience with what happened with my twin sons in UK and NZ.