Thread: another resume/cv thread ..

Default another resume/cv thread ..

Ok, so trying not to beat a dead horse but, I have searched all over and found many examples for writing a CV. Only problem is they are all different. So just seeing if anyone has any practical information as to which ways have worked for them. Background info on me is as follows: Mechanical engineer with ~3-1/2 years experience.

Some cv's have just paragraphs written under employment while others are bulleted sentences. Some have a section on their skills but should that be listed under your work experience? or also wouldn't those be in your cover letter?

Again sorry for asking, as i know this gets asked a lot, but I guess I just don't want to send out a CV that is complete garbage and waste an opportunity. And I'm sure many styles have worked for many people I would just like to know the best ones!

So to sum up a few questions... Do most still put a summary about them or career at the top, or do you go straight to experience?
    When listing experience, do you write paragraphs or just bullet points?
    As my experience is short, is it customary to fill in with specific projects worked on, or something else?

Here is another very helpful forum with a nice article in writing CV for NZ (you need to sign up though)

http://www.move2nz.com/member/showAr...739&sm=g1000p2

Thank you VERY much for that link! I think that will do just fine!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

My CV is a short intro para and then a bulleted list of examples or experience in that role. I go straight into my work history, nothing about myself up top. I save that for my cover letter.

Onto the cover letter - I recently received some great feedback from a recruitment consultant who said I did a fantastic job. She said even mentioning the company you're applying to in the test (not just up front in the address and subject line) shows you've at least taken the time to adapt the letter, even if it is a fairly standard one. I use the cover letter to provide some more detailed examples of my experience and how it meets the job requirements. I specify a few of the key points from the job description and talk about experience I have in that field.

Seems to work. I've got two interviews in the next week

Good luck

Thanks manks.. So in your CV you just go into your experience.. how long is yours? I hear typical one is like 3-4 pages. being that I am still younger I don't think i could fill that many pages without talking about myself. :/

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I don't think that employers are as bothered about the length of your CV in NZ as they are in the UK at least. Just list what's relevant. But yes, I just go straight into experience, followed by education and other achievements/interests etc.

sweet! well looks like i better get busy and start writing now! Thanks again for the input! It means a lot!

thedans, if you want to take a look... see mine at: www.jimcv.co.nz

I spent more hours that you can imagine doing it haha.

Cheers!

Jim