Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the qualification have to be relevant to the NZ employment / job offer?

Default Does the qualification have to be relevant to the NZ employment / job offer?

Do you know whether the qualification (which is worth about 50 - 60 points in EOI) has to be relevant to the NZ employment / job offer?

I mean I have read all available info on http://www.immigration.govt.nz (including the Operational Manual, etc.) regarding the recognized qualification, and it does NOT say that the qualification must be relevant ...

My case ... I have a NZ employment in IT, have more than 5 years of work experience in IT but my qualification is Master's degree in Economics (not IT). Can I claim 60 points for the qualification?

On the other hand, it clearly says that the work experience must be relevant to the NZ employment / job offer to claim points. But qualification ... no. (?)

I don't know. I've just been hunting in the INZ small print, too, and can't find anything to confirm or deny this point.

IT is level 1 and according to ANZSCO you can substitute your education with 5+ years RELEVANT work experience.

Yes, your qualification has to be relevant always but your case is diff. you have 5+ yrs relevant work exp so you can still apply

SM7.10.1 Assessment of whether employment is skilled

An offer of employment or current employment in New Zealand will be assessed as skilled if it meets the requirements of (a), (b) or (c) below.

The occupation is included in part A of the List of Skilled Occupations held at Appendix 6 and the principal applicant can demonstrate that their offer of employment or current employment substantially matches the description for that occupation (including core tasks) as set out in the ANZSCO and:
    the applicant holds a relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the NZQF (see SM14.5) that corresponds to the indicative skill level described for that occupation in the ANZSCO; or
    the applicant has the relevant recognised work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification; or
    the employment is in an occupation included on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and the applicant meets the relevant requirements specified in column three of the Long Term Skill Shortage List for that occupation.
    notwithstanding (a) (ii), applicants with Skill Level One Occupations can substitute the required qualification with five years of relevant work experience.

Do you mean I can apply but cannot claim Qualification points?

That part of the regulations refers to being qualified for a job that will count as skilled. Section SM7 is titled "Skilled Employment". http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm (Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM7 Skilled employment)
    It's not talking about points for the qualification itself for EOI. That's why I didn't think it was actually answering the question you asked. roman, I think you need to check this with INZ, otherwise you might unnecessarily do yourself out of some points.

JandM, thank you for your advice. I called the INZ but unfortunately the lady on the phone did not know the answer, she said that it would be up to the CO to decide. I think I will have to submit it and see ...

Can I ask what happens if INZ says later that I do not qualify for some points that I have claimed in EOI - do they just reduce the points or refuse the entire application? I mean I have 170 points with the qualification, if they reduce qualification points then I still have 110 points with NZ employment which should be enough (latest EOI selections include those with 100 points + job/job offer).

if your qualification is not recognised you will still be accepted (since becuase you have 5 years RELEVANT exp) but i am not sure of that 110 points. You may receive ITA since you have a job or you might be pushed back to the pool, depends on CO

Again, you're asking something that's beyond a lay person's knowledge. I think nzprasun is right, in that it might depend on the individual official's take on things. It must be frustrating, but I think your only way to find out is to try it and see.

JandM and nzprasun, thank you both for your time, I am going for it

Wishing you the very best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast