Thread: pet insurance

Default pet insurance

Hi

Can anybody give me an idea on the best insurance for dogs

Cheers

Francis

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

The favoured UK insurer Petplan is available over here http://www.petplan.net.nz/

I have to admit that for the first time we are without insurance. Our cats and our pooch were always insured but we've never claimed. Although my mum did claim last year when one of our cats broke her toes. So I've seen less value in it lately.

yep I'm using petplan for my dog but "touch wood" since i haven't made a claim yet I can't comment on how good they are.

Default Petplan

A hearty recommendation from me.

Claim $1500 for a mystery illness my young Bichon acquired. No quibbles and prompt pqyment. I pay $35 per month, so money well spent.

Jon

We had always used Petplan in the UK but when we moved here Petplan NZ would not insure our dogs. One had been insured with Petplan for 10 years and was refused here because he was too old, the other (who had been insured with a different company in the UK) was rejected as he had just turned 5. Petplan NZ also contacted our vets in the UK to get our dogs' medical history and rejected both of our dogs not just because of age but because they had been taken to the vet. They had no medical problems at all, just insignificant things such as an ear infection with no ongoing problems. So unfortunately our dogs now have no insurance. I think if you have a dog under the age of 5 with no medical history it is probably OK, otherwise I would envisage difficulties. Sorry this is not positive but that is just what we experienced. We have fantastic vets here now though!