Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Container MAF Biosecurity check extra costs

Default Container MAF Biosecurity check extra costs

Hi guys

We arrived in Auckland in December 2011 and have been waiting for our furniture to arrive. We used Brytons (Brittania) removals. The company in New Zealand dealing with our move (20ft container) sent us an invoice for $470 saying that this is for the MAF biosecurity charges as the container will be inspected at our residence.

The only things we have (garden equipment) are a lawnmover some spades and plastic chairs and table - seems a little exhorbitant since everything was cleaned thoroughly before packing. Apparently not every container is checked, but we ended up being picked???? Wonder why?

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

This old thread has some information that may be of interest. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-31861.html

This seems about right I think its pretty standard. We had three boxes inspected at the warehouse and paid $450ish. The lady at Pickfords said that checking at home was comparable to checking at the warehouse as the MAF inspector includes costs of coming out to the property. At the warehouse they charge you for unpacking and repacking the container or truck.

My understanding was that they would inspect any outdoor type stuff and a few other things. I've never heard of a container not being inspected at all (but then people wouldn't question that).

Welcome to 'Fleece the Immigrants'!

You probably got chosen because it had 'personal effects' on the manifest.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 13th February 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Yup, is standard. they will want to check any box of package which has anything that has been outdoors - garden tools, walking boots, kids garden toys, bikes etc. the people who umpack your container should have a list of the the packages that MAF want to inspect and will put them to one side to await MAF's arrival. It turned out our local MAF office was only 500m from where our house was, was all very nice and friendly. Tis a bit of a huge fee in my opinion, but that is what it is, so everyone is stuck with it.

Our stuff is due to be delivered to us in Christchurch tomorrow - we are also being charged $450 to inspect a few things too. Bikes and garden furniture I can understand but it's the stuff the shipping company has mis-described that's annoying. One of our boxes is labelled 'wig-wam'! Even we have no idea what that is! I suppose they would argue that you signed it all off after it was done, but you're hardly likely to ask them to start opening boxes when they've spent two days packing. Yes, seems like something you just have to pay.

The other charge we are being stung with, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had to pay this, is a $190 fee for cleaning the outside of the container. I can't see any way in which this is our responsibility to pay, but we are over a barrel as they won't deliver our stuff unless we pay it.

Wig-wam??!

Quote Originally Posted by Piebird420 View Post
    The other charge we are being stung with, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone else had to pay this, is a $190 fee for cleaning the outside of the container. I can't see any way in which this is our responsibility to pay, but we are over a barrel as they won't deliver our stuff unless we pay it.

Never heard of paying a cleaning fee for the container - was it specified when you booked the container? We certainly didn't have one - we used Crown Relocations (Ireland/NZ) but thats 2.5yrs ago. Personally, I'd follow-up with your original contact that arranged the container for you & query this charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dwgknz View Post

My understanding was that they would inspect any outdoor type stuff and a few other things. I've never heard of a container not being inspected at all (but then people wouldn't question that).
    Our 40ft container was not inspected at all - the things we thought would be checked were bikes, baskets, Christmas decorations, wooden furniture. Nothing labelled as garden furniture or tools though.

Quote Originally Posted by Piebird420 View Post

No way. Unless you have agreed to that originally I would not pay that, that's their problem. We had hassle with our car with Transworld here trying to get extra money for the car which we knew was too much, so we complained to the company in the UK and they got in touch with Transworld. Try contacting your UK company, that's who the original contract was with. It's a real hassle but if you push they may back down.

A general thought - I think part of the key to avoiding too many MAF charges is good packing in the first place. If you put all the things which you know may attract the attention of MAF together (ie pack garden stuff in one box) there are fewer boxes to open. And always make sure you have a very good look at the packing list as they go along.
    Good luck to you all with these container woes, it is a stressful time as everyone just seems to have their hands out demanding money but it is worth it and eventually everything will be unpacked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast