Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting residency to permanent residency - how long in country?

Default Converting residency to permanent residency - how long in country?

I am currently in NZ with my partner on working holiday visa's from the UK. We are both working full time and need to apply either for longer work visa's, or residency. Looking at the EOI points, we should not have a problem getting pulled from the pool (140+ points) and invited to apply. Then I hope all our paperwork will be in order! But I want to understand the whole process.

In order to convert the residency visa into a permanent residency visa, I understand you have to be in NZ for the majority of two years. Is this two years from the date we arrived in the country (i.e. on our working holiday visa's) or from the date the residency visa was granted? I am trying to understand the whole process, as we still have ties back to the UK and would like the option to be in either place. The online documentations seems to give mixed messages.

At this page it states that "...you can obtain a permanent resident visa if you...have held your resident visa for at least two years..." and here it says "hold, or have held, that resident visa for at least two years continuously". Does this mean it does not matter how long you have been in NZ prior to your residency visa?

Are these in addition to the "Commitment to NZ criteria"? Because if it went only by details here "You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application." then it looks like the working holiday year would count...

Many thanks for any clarity on this matter.

To qualify for PR visa you need to held resident visa for two years and stay in NZ for 184 days each year. This two year period will start from the day you get resident visa only.

Friend of mine applied for EOI and had PR whilst he was in the UK.

Expanding a bit on what rizjunior said, which is absolutely right... You need to look at the second link you gave. The paragraph at the top of the page is ALL obligatory, then there has to be ONE of the criteria from the list at the bottom of the page.

The two years count from the date on your Resident visa. From the bit you quote yourself, You have been in New Zealand as a resident for a total of 184 days or more in each of the two 12-month portions of the 24 months immediately preceding your permanent resident visa application, the words 'as a resident' are the ones that make the difference. They mean, officially Resident according to your visa, not just resident-as-in-living-there.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I agree with the others. The two years are dependent upon holding the resident visa.

What about 41 days of tax from each year? If are working
    or nine month (Tax) of employments from two year period.

Thanks someone has got this up, it was bit confusing for us when we went to INZ to get "Variation of Travel conditions". We got our RV in Feb'10 and then activated our visas in Sep'10 (Resident Permit) by travelling to NZ.

OH was travelling out of NZ last month so we went to INZ asking for another 1 year variation of travel conditions as I was assuming her travel conditions would run out when she returns, and we were told that she could actually travel in/out till Sep'12 without problem i.e. 2 year period from date of first arrival, as that was the date when Resident Permit (according to old terminology) started for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CCIE_4_NZ_work View Post
    What about 41 days of tax from each year? If are working
    or nine month (Tax) of employments from two year period.
    What about them? - they are more of the five possibilities for proving commitment to NZ (but there is more detail in the requirements). It's all given here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, and as I said above, the first paragraph is obligatory, then there has to be ONE of the five options from the bottom section of the page.

Hi, the 184-day in each 12 month period applies from the day your Resident Visa was activated (from the first Resident Permit stamp on arrival into NZ). And you can apply for PR Visa after 24 months from the date of the first Resident Permit stamp.

I looked this up coz we will be applying for PR Visa soon, and the PR Visa app form (1175) requires minimum 24-month Resident Visa validity.

Having arrived in August 2010, today is the day that I clocked my second period of 184 days. So I have a question... Do I have to wait until the 2nd anniversary of my arrival or can I apply for my stamp now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast