Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever..... felt like this!!

Default What the...........

Oh my goodness, where to start. I live here with my Husband, myself, Daughter and our Son. Here's the thing. I love it, absolutely love it. I originally went to Christchurch in 2009 and was made redundant and had to return to the UK. Anyway, it took me a long time to settle here in Tauranga. Now I have and it's great. My one concern is this, myself, Husband and daughter have all very nearly qualified for residency, our Son is on a WHV and has been searching for permanent work. Lots of temporary positions but nothing permanent. However he was offered a trial, so he informed the guy that if he was offered a permanent position he could not start straight away. As we were informed by immigration he needed to apply for a work visa. So the potential employer has now not been in touch. It is so frustrating. What employer is going to wait around for someone who doesn't have experience, unless they can maybe. I just feel it is so difficult, i reckon if he had of got the trial he would have got the job, but the guy was hesitant due to the process of a work visa. Crazy!!
    He has now took a temporary position helping to clean up the beaches.
    His WHV expires in June 2012 and I am so worried that he won't find a job before then. He has been out with his CV's but nothing.
    As a parent I feel as though I have let him down, as this was our dream originally and he didn't want to come and was a bit silly. But he has been here nearly two years too and loves it. What can we do to help him. Will immigration send him back to the UK, we his family are here.
    Does anyone have any advice, we can't afford fee's for education as they are triple. I don't want to give up, but I am now really worried about the whole situation.

Help, if you can. any advice, possible jobs, connections, contacts anything would be good. He is 20 and he just wants to work. Unfortuntely, he does not have experience on his side, however he is a hard worker. He can only gain the experience if someone gives him an opportunity.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this.
    Last edited by pitkennedy; 12th February 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Text change

Has he been anywhere else in NZ, like Auckland or Wellington? Surely the job opportunities are much better there? What was the work being offered to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    Has he been anywhere else in NZ, like Auckland or Wellington? Surely the job opportunities are much better there? What was the work being offered to him?

Yes, he did some temporary work on the Mall in Hamilton. He has been to a few other places but everything seems to be temporary. A stressed out Mum until he get's something permanent.
    Thanks for your support!!

We are in a similar situation to you. Not a very positive answer to your post but this is what is currently happening with us.

Very long story short, son age 24 and from UK came here on WHV.
    Found permanent employment, did various training and courses for his job, got promoted twice, now a shift supervisor.

Tried points calculator on INZ website, scored 140 points, applied for SM visa in December 2010.
    ITA arrived in January 2011, completed and returned in May 2011.
    Extra info requested and sent.

Interim visa issued as WHV expired in July 2011, and SM visa application still in progress. Couldn't work on interim visa so applied for work visa to cover him while SM visa assessed.

6 month work visa issued, Only granted because there was a SM visa application in progress. Have been told in writing this work visa will not be renewed. Interim visa cancelled.

September 2011, SM visa declined as this job offer is not seen as skilled.

The family is absolutely devastated, our whole family are resident here and obviously he wants to remain with us in NZ. He has no-one/nothing in the UK, no family, home or job.

Immigration lawyer has been employed to fight his corner. (Lots of $$$$$$) Appeal already gone in over residency application decline, but will take over a year to be even looked at.
    Another Work permit application sent in, by lawyer, so he can work until appeal is heard. (more $$$$$)
    Now on another interim visa until a decision is made as to whether to issue another work permit or not, firstly because residency appeal going through, and secondly immigration insist he remain in NZ legally!! Ironic or what.....All he wants to do is remain here legally and work!!

We have also been told by NZIS (Hamilton) that work permits are only issued if the job offered is SKILLED, it is irrelevant whether the offer of employment is permanent or not.
    This is apparently very subjective as it appears to depend on which case officer you get allocated.
    Like you there is no way we could afford international fees/student visa.
    It just seems completely unfair that he is in a permanent employment, asking no-one for anything, paying tax and kiwi saver but is being treated so badly. He has worked since he arrived and never taken a day off sick.
    Now he might be unable to keep his job and live with his family because someone at immigration might not renew his work permit.
    Sorry for the long post and the rant......It just seems a really unfair system. All his family here apparently count for nothing at all.
    Last edited by Rob&Don; 12th February 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Can you not apply under the family stream on the grounds that the whole family is in New Zealand- question to both posters, or do you have to be here/ on residence longer?

Sorry, cannot offer any helpful advice, but feel for you!

This is (as far as I am aware) the current "skilled" professions that NZIS work with. If you land a job in one of these categories, you have a fighting chance.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/20594.htm

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Can you not apply under the family stream on the grounds that the whole family is in New Zealand- question to both posters, or do you have to be here/ on residence longer?

Sorry, cannot offer any helpful advice, but feel for you!

You have to have had permanent residency 3 full years before you can apply via the family stream.

OMG!! really. We have never been told that. Last time I spoke to immigration prior to Christmas the lady there never mentioned about a skilled job. She just said, a permanent job offer and then he can apply for a work visa. The crazy thing is though, when he gets an offer of a job he can't start it until they process his work visa. which could take anything up to 30 days. So the employer may not want to hang around for that length of time. He can't get a job unless he has the visa, and he can't get the visa without a job. erm!! it should be a little easier.
    so where are you guys up to now? Awh, bless it's frustrating and so stressful.

No, because he is twenty now he would have to apply himself. But the crazy thing is if they are asking for skilled/experience he doesn't have it. He has never had the opportunity to gain the skills. Maybe there is another way around it, I have yet to find it.

So, does this mean that if you get offered a permanent job without the skilled title that you can't stay in NZ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast