Thread: Credit Risk, SAS Programming/Analyst Jobs?

Default Credit Risk, SAS Programming/Analyst Jobs?

Hi there,
    I've been lurking on these boards for a while and was wondering if there are any Credit Risk Analysts out there? Has anyone got any experience in getting a job in this field?

I have a degree in Stats and 4 years Credit Risk experience plus an extra year working as a Business Analyst (basically MI reporting) most of this experience has been in the Financial Services sector.

There always seems to be jobs on Seek posted by agencies, which is a positive sign; however i'm well aware that it's no indication that I would find it easy to get a job in NZ.

I'm just at the thinking stage at the moment, but i am seriously thinking about the Silver Fern Search visa (if i'm lucky enough to get one). Would i be crazy to give up a good job in the UK, or would 9 months be long enough to find a job in this field?

All info greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Hello and welcome . Yes, I have come across couple of big companies which use SAS - so yes prospects look quite good in that area. Leaving good job in UK and searching for new one in NZ will definitely be a risk on your part. Have you thought of WHV or doing a job recce?

Thanks for the replies!
    I haven't considered a job recce, although i don't have the holidays to take the time off work this year, so that would push the move back by 1 year.
    The WHV scares me a little! You can only work for 1 employer for 6 months max (is this still true?) My job role tends to come up in big organisations which in my experience are not flexible on their policies regarding foreign workers/sponsorships etc...I can't see them wanting to offer me a role when there is the possibility that I will only be there for 6 months.
    This is how i concluded that the silver fern visa is the only realistic option for me. Would love to hear if anyone disagrees on my outlook!
    I suppose the worst case scenario for me is this:
    Spend 9 months in NZ, don't find job, return to UK and find job, which will be a much easier task than in NZ (due to contacts and being English) End result: great adventure, life experience but low funds and possibly shattered confidence!
    Maybe I just need to think about it less and just do it!

You've got the wrong idea about the WHV. Sure, you can only take a temporary contract while you are on WHV, but if the employer knows that you are looking for permanent work and is keen to employ you, you are legally allowed to begin working on that basis, then the employer can offer you the permanent contract so you can put in for a Work Visa and/or Residence once you have that to show to INZ. The six month limitation does not appear here at all.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

My previous employer here (leading telco operator) had company policy to not extend contractor beyond 6 to 9 months period (I think that's for internal accounting purpose) but I have seen couple of my ex-colleagues are still working there since 17 months now. I think contract extension and converting into permanent also depends on your rapport with the manager and negotiating skills. Don't take it as hard & fast rule but sometimes you might be lucky to push your way.

SAS is used in marketing divisions of telcos as well, and also in business intelligence - more programming than reporting though

Thanks for the info, i've got a lot to think about it seems!