Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K.i.s.s.

When someone comments about how hot it is and asks me why I'm wearing a sweatshirt, I don't feel scared to say, "This weather is cold to me because of where I'm originally from." I'm not complaining about the weather; I'm stating a fact as to why I'm wearing a sweater. I do agree with your point that it doesn't make much sense to try to turn NZ into where you came from but I'm not going to hide that I'm Californian and it informs my world view
    I often run into this problem and find myself in person (and in here the forum) that it's not productive to mention how things are done in Canada (or elsewhere) as a comparison. Some question why I bother live in NZ because of how many instances things appear to be better in Canada when there was nothing really too shocking of how things are done in NZ to warrant a complete lifestyle change (pack up and move back). Many kiwis joke about it about the differences when in fact, they really don't know. It's certainly not the same feeling I get back in Canada as my friends there are more curious of how things are done in NZ and welcome any criticisms.

I'm a big fan of experiencing better things (tangible or non-tangible) while living in NZ. Building our house was not easy and i'm sure my neighbours know that the things I do and have are rather uncommon for NZ. The other day I was using my self propelled Craftsman lawn mower cutting the grass by the footpath. The one man walking with his wife could not help noticed how the front wheels of my mower would spin. Or how some of my local friends were impressed of the central vacuum where the floor head is electrically powered (brush bar) with a built-in light.

All in all, the neighbours know well that I don't fit the typical asian migrant. One that wears a hat, t-shirt, & shorts all the time while driving old classic cars - this doesn't fit the description of the typical asian that drives a new BMW or Mercedez. Why assimilate? One shouldn't be ashamed of where they came from or how they do things or what cultural aspects they praise on.

As a yank hoping to move on over, these are some great posts and insight. I guess the message here is NEVER say how things were done back home, and of course never imply the old country way was better - unless asked, or if speaking to a fellow ex-pat.

Then again I think anyone who gives up an entire life back home (family, friends, job, house, etc) and spends a small fortune to move to the other side of the world have proven to any and all doubters that they truly believe the Kiwi way is better than their old country’s way.

Well, no, not necessarily. It could be equal in their appreciation, with a *something* that makes them decide to go for the move. If I ever get to go other than on holiday, that something will be the family who are there. But I love NZ for itself and its idiosyncracies, and I feel the same about the UK, too. I've got a good life here, and I've done the research to be confident I could make a good life there as well, with proximity to the next generation as a cherry on the cake.

Some people's reasons for moving may not be to find utopia or a better life, they may be doing it for their partner and letting them have a chance to be near their family and friends. So, cutting someone off from their opinions just because they moved to a new country is silly in my humble opinion.

I have to say that I experience(d) lots of curious questions about how we are used to doing things, or people ask me about goods we could get and might not be able to get here. So, I suppose, it depends on whom you meet?

Still- in my opiinion it doesn't make sense to compare all the time, because it doesn't help feeling happy if you are thinking about what you can't get......
    We found solutions to most- even cheese can be send from Germany (at least at the moment), which makes a lovely treat now and then. And other things I find too expensive or too difficult to get I just replaced.

A very interesting and enjoyable thread, reading everyones point of view!! As for the 2nd 'S'... At my place of work it stands for 'Keep It Simple Stupid'!!

The discussion on 'assimilation' in above posts seem to presume that all native Kiwis are the same - which they aren't!

I personally think assimilation is okay - and probably - required as long as it does not lead to the negation of one's background. Assimilating here in NZ is - of course - much easier if you had previously similar experiences either in your home country or beyond.

One possible indicator of assimilation might be the friends you have here. Are they from compatriots, other immigrants or Kiwis.

Quote Originally Posted by Living Life View Post
    A very interesting and enjoyable thread, reading everyones point of view!! As for the 2nd 'S'... At my place of work it stands for 'Keep It Simple Stupid'!!
    In the original ad (Telstra Clear) the second 's' stays for 'Silly'

It's way older than that.

Some people's reasons for moving may not be to find utopia or a better life, they may be doing it for their partner and letting them have a chance to be near their family and friends. So, cutting someone off from their opinions just because they moved to a new country is silly in my humble opinion.
    Glad you've mentioned this as you've hit my situation dead on the spot. My choice in NZ was the betterment of the family as a whole. Unless circumstances change (ie family), I can't see myself relocating again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast