Thread: Are schools with enrolment zones better than non-zoned schools?

Default Are schools with enrolment zones better than non-zoned schools?

Hi all
    Am looking at primary schools on the North Shore for my two children for when we arrive in June. I see that some are zoned and some are not. Is it a fair assumption to make that the zoned schools are zoned because more parents want to send their children to the school than the school can accomodate and are therefore better than the non-zoned schools? Ie the schools are so good all the parents want their children to go there?
    Thanks!

Not necessarily at all. A school can take on a zone because there has been a lot of building, or a high birth-rate, in the area - the thinking is that, in order to have room for the children of the locality, they will need not to take those from further away.

Which schools?

Quote Originally Posted by fury147 View Post
    Which schools?
    In the whole of NZ? That's a very broad question and pretty much impossible to answer!

Haha which schools on the North Shore DON'T have zones? (Is what I meant.)

In theory, whether a school is zoned or not shouldn't tell you if it is 'better' (whatever that may mean) or not.

In reality, schools that are considered more desirable for whatever reason will be zoned, leaving the rest not zoned. Around where we live, it is fairly obvious which schools are considered 'good' and which ones aren't, and they are zoned/not zoned along those lines. I cannot think of a decile 9/10 school or one that is considered 'good' not having a zone (excluding faith schools). I can also not think of a lower decile school that is zoned, but your mileage may vary elsewhere.

Daniela

I cannot think of a decile 9/10 school or one that is considered 'good' not having a zone
    The decile 10 one where my grandchildren go wasn't zoned when my grandson started there, but became so a year later because of the rise in birthrate in the area (Woodlands Park).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The decile 10 one where my grandchildren go wasn't zoned when my grandson started there, but became so a year later because of the rise in birthrate in the area (Woodlands Park).
    Yes, but that is a bit of a chicken and egg question, isn't it: I would imagine (we have friends at that school) that people move to the area becausethe school has a good reputation, not just because the existing populace is all of a sudden breeding more than before...

This may be more pronounced with secondary schools, too, but I am not quite there yet (starting to investigate, which is bad enough...).

Daniela

Chicken and egg questions are always ifs and ands, don't you think? I only know what the breeding/moving pattern of two local residents was! Just mentioned it because I just happened to KNOW of that formerly non-zoned Decile 10.

Rangitoto College is zoned, but took all out of zone applicants this year. Which schools are you thinking of?