Lots of good suggestions. When I moved to London I only knew my ex! So I joined things I was interested in - specifically I joined a local Amnesty Group and did some evening classes in creative writing. I made tons of friends through both, especially Amnesty - in fact that's where I met my fiancee! I am a big fan of groups and classes as even if it takes a while to make friends that you see outside of them it gives you things to do in your leisure time which helps you not feel quite so lonely. Walking clubs are another that are popular around London as ways to make friends, a day of tramping in the lovely countryside around Christchurch and you're bound to find people you share things in common with and have lots of time to talk to people - I don't actually know if there is a walking club though. Also, are there any community volunteering groups still doing eathquake clear-up - a good way to show investment in your new community and meet people. Do persevere though, it takes time to build up friendships.