Thread: Extension Of WHV To Cover SMC Processing Time?

Default Extension Of WHV To Cover SMC Processing Time?

My EOI was selected on 8th Feb with 135 points and current employment in NZ for under 12 months.
    I arrived here on Sept 15th 2011 from UK with 12 month Working Holiday Visa.

Auckland Central processing times are 6-8 weeks to issue an ITA and then 6-9 months to decide on the application. (!!) As my current work visa will expire on Sept 15th this year do you think I need to submit an application to extend my WHV just to cover any possible scenario where I reach Sept 15th without a decision? Is it likely that I could get my SMC application processed by then? Does having an SMC application lodged provide any sort of amnesty?

Thanks

If someone is on a visa allowing them to work legally, INZ in NZ are notorious for not feeling much urgency about dealing with the application - they seem to have a 'what's your hurry?' attitude. But people whose visas are getting near to expiry have quite often contacted their INZ office and pointed out that time is getting short, and then had a VERY quick response.

I know that's not answering your question outright, but hope it gives another angle on the situation.

JEEtoP, if your SMC is still been processed, INZ would probably grant you an interim visa. You can refer to this link for more info: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/interim.htm

Hope that helps!

Sabri

Thanks for the replies guys!

I hadn't come across that link before Sabri, it seems to read like it doesn't apply if you are applying for a permanent visa such as residency but as I live in the city anyway and should have my ITA arrive soon I figure I'll just complete it and submit it as soon as I possibly can and then follow it up with the Auckland City branch.

If I have my application submitted by end of March and then give them a further month, if nothing has progressed I can just chase my case officer and mention my expiry date/interim visa.

I also don't think they do interim visas as such for Residence, and nobody can directly apply for one, but they may have a way round if you ask. Also, I suppose if you have the option to apply for an extension of your WHV (that varies according to where you're from, and I don't remember, sorry), that wouldn't take long to do if you see you're getting close to having a problem.

I found that they were very reasonable in extending my SM visa by 6 months
    In my case just an e-mail from my solicitor explaining that sale of business was delayed not through my fault
    $80 NZ fee and happy days
    Move Saturday

Francis