Thread: Opportunities for OH to find work in NZ

Smile Opportunities for OH to find work in NZ

Hi Everyone

We are thinking of applying for PR visa and I would be main applicant as I am a primary teacher. My question for here is whether my Oh would be able to find any work for him once we arrived in NZ.

He is currently self-employed, working as a wet plumber fitting bathrooms and also a property developer - renovating houses and renting them out. Unfortunately he does not have recognised qualifications for these.

He has in the past done cable laying, garden maintenance and machine driving, any recognised licences are well out of date.

He is able to turn his hand to anything (sounds a bit of a Del Boy, I know) but is trustworthy and has built up a good business here through word of mouth and recommendations.

Finding work for my Oh would be a make or break situation in our decision really and I was wondering what the thoughts/experiences and opinions of anyone out there might be.

Thanks for your support
    Jo

ZombieDraxx Guest

It sounds like he definitely has the skills find work. It might be difficult at first without the proper qualifications but I'm sure he could find a builder that would use his abilities.

Also I'm pretty sure you'll have to apply for and be granted Teacher Registration with the New Zealand Teachers Council before making your application for PR.

Hi Jo

It might be worth you having a look at the thread "childcare issues" that i started on here. I'm in a similar situation to your OH and there are some helpful comments and a link regarding qualifications/registration of a trade that it might be worth having a look at. The feeling i get is that somebody who is trustworthy, hardworking and willing to do small jobs would do well working for themselves.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thank for your replies. I have read them out to OH, who appears to need a scotch whenever NZ is mentioned!! The situation sounds more positive now and has given him some food for thought.

Paul057 - Are you sure you are not related to my OH, your worries/thoughts are so, so similar to his!! We are some way behind you with the process. However, if you get your business going, maybe you could do with a partner????? ha, ha!!

ZombieDraxx - Thanks for your advice about teacher reg. I am currently trying to work through all that info at moment. We had a consultation with an agent who explained about NZQA and teacher reg to me. However, his costs were huge and we are trying to have a go at sorting it all out ourselves. Wish me luck!!

Jo

Always open to ideas Jo, it might work out well for us both?

Good luck

Hi Jo

I have a friend who works at the Teacher Registration board in Wellington PM me and I will send you her details. She will be able to help you I am sure with questions

Hello and welcome.

You won't be able to receive or send PMs until you have made five posts.

Hi there and welcome
    I'm sure with all the help on here you can manage the applications yourself and save on agent fees
    My hubbie had no quals or certs either (builder/landscaper) but managed to find work once he got here. It's getting a little harder as they are bringing out new regulations for builders etc but if you hubbie knows what he's doing I'm sure he can sort all that out.
    You can do anything if you want it enough