Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rejected for 2 companies for having too much knowledge. Isn't it weird? Help Please

Default Rejected for 2 companies for having too much knowledge. Isn't it weird? Help Please

My husband and I have moved to Auckland almost 3 weeks ago, we are very happy with our move, Auckland is beautiful, we managed to rent a house very easy but we are very worried regards to find a job. My husband has done some interviews with mid-size companies (60-100 employees), their initial reaction were great, they gave amazing feedback to the recruiters but when comes to offer the job they said that my husband has too much experience and knowledge and would get bored after a while working to their company as the companies are smaller and everything runs slower.

Another company had asked the same question in the first interview and not even offered a second interview. They told the recruiter that my husband is more than they need and he would get bored there... all again.

My husband works with IT, has graduation and pos graduation certificates, 10 years experience and has worked for worldwide companies in Brazil and England, shouldn’t it be a bonus and not a problem?

In my point of view as much experience as better but seems the Kiwis don’t think in this way. I thought maybe they are scared that my husband could get their jobs (managers), as he has previous management experience.

In Brazil and UK he would blink and get a job but in NZ I am not sure what they think, what they are scared of or what is going on.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas?

I remember when I worked at a small IT company back in the UK and I was involved in interviews for a new technical manager. There was one candidate that stood heads and shoulders above the others in terms of experience and qualifications. He interviewed very well. But we did not offer him the job. Why? Made us all feel insecure, including the MD and it really boiled down to a perception of control. Hope that makes sense.

My advice is for him to set his sights higher, who are the high flying IT companies and target them. Maybe he should also be talking to another recruitment company.

Is he applying for the right level of job? I can understand that you wouldn't want to train someone who is clearly overqualified for a position only to find they will leave quickly.

He should probably apply to a level up from the one he currently has his eyes on.

Good luck!

Daniela

Keep trying. Not all companies in New Zealand are so short-sighted.

You need to explain to them that your perceived restlessness isn't a threat but an opportunity. Sure you may get bored doing a lesser job but it will help you to integrate into their culture. And when you're ready to progress wouldn't the first place you'll look for that progression be the company that had faith in you.

Keeping in regular touch with your chosen recruitment agents as they are only human (so I'm told!) and will be better able to place you the more they know about you.

By the way, what is your husband's expertise ?

Did you see my post under the working thread? Yes, We're Hiring? We're looking for experienced IT people. There are a few job postings listed there.

Unhappy

I, and many of my non-New Zealand friends in NZ, have made very similar experiences. My theory is that most businesses in NZ are small, founder/ operator run startups or places, and they are most often just looking for someone to do the footwork. Some high-flying external will simply pose too much of an authority threat to the boss, whose OE may go as far as a year in Sydney or something, if that. It's a place of small ventures, there is rarely any space for high profiles. 28 job applications in myself, I've moved on to China and India now, where you can actually get those positions. NZ is a lifestyle choice, I've come to believe, for younger people with lower qualifications, who are flexible and not ambitious. Those of my friends who came in as diesel mechanics or joiners are doing reasonably well - not necessarily in their field of training, but they can land jobs as sales people or waiters if they have to, and that works OK for them. Comparing with UK or Brazil simply won't work, no matter how refined NZ presents itself, let's face it; there are provincial cities in Latin America that have twice the population of the entire country. Opportunity is simply limited. I wish it were different, but until NZ becomes an industrial and commercial hub in the world, I guess it's best for the ambitious to stick with the established ones...
    Last edited by BathtubViking; 18th February 2012 at 08:25 PM.

My experience is the same both in Europe and in NZ that you shouldn't be (perceived as being) overqualified. And I think this right not only from the employer's perspective but also from the employee's one.
    So you probably might want to change the selection of potential jobs etc.

To emphasise it: This is not something only immigrants to NZ have to consider!

I agree that this isn't immigrant-specific. It's also not New Zealand-specific. As a rule, I wouldn't hire someone that is clearly overqualified. They invariably end up leaving.

Interesting thread..... I been to NZ last year and faced exactly same issue. My area of skills is very nich and do faced very few job on Internet.

Not that I have any NZ job application experience, but you may need to aim your application and CV more specifically at the job you're going for. People are almost always over- or under-qualified for a given position. Like in the fairy tale, there is really only a tiny window when your experience is 'just right'. This sounds a bit like the 'tall poppy syndrome' I keep hearing about. If you think high-profile projects are likely to scare off potential employers, don't put them in. Job interviews are entirely about perceptions and first impressions - they decide whether you get in, but your (or your new company's) performance decides whether you stay.

It can be hard, but you have to take every bit of feedback as a positive experience. If you don't get the job, ask them why - at this point, you don't have to worry so much about bothering them, and what they say can be an important clue for your next interview.

Above all keep trying, and best of luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast