Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there any hope out there for us to make things better?

Default Is there any hope out there for us to make things better?

We live in Tauranga and have been here for two years in June. We have just found out our savings have been stolen by a family member. Anyway, to cut a long story short we are now looking into moving to Australia. The only thing is my O/H is 54 this year. I love it here, but we can't survive now with no savings. Not alot of choice really, so do you guys know much about the Employers nomination scheme. A friend in work said you can still get a job in Oz if the employer sponsors you. Is this true?
    We need to earn money, more than we can earn here. So, is there an option? I did the online assessment, but it asked me if I have worked in the trade over the last two years, and I haven't so it came back unsuccessful. I am 46 and a Painter & Decorator, but whilst I have been in New Zealand I have worked as a support worker.
    Any advice anyone, would be most grateful.
    When your over 50 is there hope, I hope there is. We could do with a bit of something going our way, we are willing to uproot again.

Thanks guys
    Helen
    Last edited by pitkennedy; 19th February 2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: delete some words

Why don't you contact the police and your bank and contact your insurance company?

Sorry to hear that. I wish you good fortune in your future.

bloody ell is there no way of getting any of your money back?
    last time I heard anything, Aussie were looking at formulating state sponsorship rules although it may have been sorted by now. their immigration website is pretty easy to navigate. do you know where you'd like to go in oz? have you been before?
    sorry to hear your bad news

Quote Originally Posted by pitkennedy View Post
    We live in Tauranga and have been here for two years in June. We have just found out our savings have been stolen by a family member. Anyway, to cut a long story short we are now looking into moving to Australia. The only thing is my O/H is 54 this year. I love it here, but we can't survive now with no savings. Not alot of choice really, so do you guys know much about the Employers nomination scheme. A friend in work said you can still get a job in Oz if the employer sponsors you. Is this true?
    We need to earn money, more than we can earn here. So, is there an option? I did the online assessment, but it asked me if I have worked in the trade over the last two years, and I haven't so it came back unsuccessful. I am 46 and a Painter & Decorator, but whilst I have been in New Zealand I have worked as a support worker.
    Any advice anyone, would be most grateful.
    When your over 50 is there hope, I hope there is. We could do with a bit of something going our way, we are willing to uproot again.

Thanks guys
    Helen
    I am sorry, but I am going to take your post with a very big pinch of salt.

This is about your boy and his inability to get a job/work permit. Now you are panicking, because he obviously is unable to survive on his own and the only option other than going back to the UK is getting a WHV for Australia for him. What are you going to do? Move your whole family to OZ because he can't do it by himself? What are you going to do when his Australian WHV runs out? Maybe it is time for him to stand on his own two feet.

I sent you a list of skilled occupations for which he can get a work permit for here in NZ. If you had bothered to look at the list, there are quite a few occupations that he could have got his foot in whilst he was here. Forestry work, vineyard/winery work, aquaculture, even being a pet groomer!

If you are still reading this, here is a plan for him. The wine industry here in NZ is currently recruiting people from all over the world to work this years grape harvest, the majority of them will have had little or no experience in the wine industry and it is seen as the first rung on the ladder to getting experience. So he still has time to work for a winery in NZ before his WHV runs out. He can then use an Australian WHV to get experience in wine industry in Australia, work in the vineyards, then jump back into winery work when the harvest comes. If he is smart he could even work a Northern Hemisphere harvest in between. After two years he will have heaps of experience.

On thing they very much need here in NZ is experienced "cellar hands" and he would be pretty much guaranteed a job and work permit for NZ.

Thats just one example. Only you would know if he would be capable of doing something like that. But one thing is for sure, he can only do it, if he wants to and you are not there to make life easy for him.

Sorry if that offends you, but that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    I am sorry, but I am going to take your post with a very big pinch of salt.

This is about your boy and his inability to get a job/work permit. Now you are panicking, because he obviously is unable to survive on his own and the only option other than going back to the UK is getting a WHV for Australia for him. What are you going to do? Move your whole family to OZ because he can't do it by himself? What are you going to do when his Australian WHV runs out? Maybe it is time for him to stand on his own two feet.

I sent you a list of skilled occupations for which he can get a work permit for here in NZ. If you had bothered to look at the list, there are quite a few occupations that he could have got his foot in whilst he was here. Forestry work, vineyard/winery work, aquaculture, even being a pet groomer!

If you are still reading this, here is a plan for him. The wine industry here in NZ is currently recruiting people from all over the world to work this years grape harvest, the majority of them will have had little or no experience in the wine industry and it is seen as the first rung on the ladder to getting experience. So he still has time to work for a winery in NZ before his WHV runs out. He can then use an Australian WHV to get experience in wine industry in Australia, work in the vineyards, then jump back into winery work when the harvest comes. If he is smart he could even work a Northern Hemisphere harvest in between. After two years he will have heaps of experience.

On thing they very much need here in NZ is experienced "cellar hands" and he would be pretty much guaranteed a job and work permit for NZ.

Thats just one example. Only you would know if he would be capable of doing something like that. But one thing is for sure, he can only do it, if he wants to and you are not there to make life easy for him.

Sorry if that offends you, but that's how I see it.
    Whilst I am very grateful for people's comments on here, I do find yours quite harsh. Some people are lucky, and others not so lucky. I would not kick someone when they are down. To be honest I don't really care what you believe. But I can say your wrong. Two weeks ago our saving in an English account were stolen, so we do have a dilemma. My husband has been looking at options here, and in Australia because we need to try and re-assess our situation.
    Whilst I am grateful for comments of support, I do believe some people should refrain from commenting to harshly whilst they themselves are making assumptions.
    Our situation since we arrived in Tauranga, has been tough but we are determined to make things work.
    Over the past 12 weeks, I have had a car stolen, my savings gone, my job was at risk and a Mum who was diagnosed with Cancer but has now got the all clear. So I would say that unless you know peoples situations you should not assume. Myself and my family are coping very well considering the circumstances that we have had to experience. And we will continue to strive forward to make this experience comfortable for us.
    This situation we are in now, has nothing to do with my son and his experiences of not managing to get employment.

Thanks Victoria,
    At the moment we are looking at Brisbane. My husbands age is a factor. None of us wants to go, as I have settled here in Tauranga. It took me a while but I love it here. My O/H is 54 this May and I know this is an issue. We can't get the money back unfortunately, as it was a family member. Anyway, heads up for us. I filled out one of those pre- assessments on the Oz site and it said we were not sucessful, so to be honest we need to make further enquiries. It would only be short term to build a little money. I don't want to move there or anything.
    Our other option, is to rent something cheaper than this. $380-00 per week. There are other properties out there I am sure. I just love the view here.
    But thanks for your support, much appreciated.
    helen

Helen- ENS is still a skilled migrant visa route, so you still need the qualifications and occupation in demand. You also need the requisite experience etc, unless you have good grounds to appeal a factor (e.g. a family member used this route to appeal age in her mid-50s because her potential employer could demonstrate that no one in Australia could be found to fill the role, and we used this route when my dh did not have enough experience but his skill set was so much in demand that this factor could be waived).

Of course it's different if you're a NZ citizen.

I thought Beachcombers took the time to give you some very useful, directed advice. You've posted on more than one occasion requesting someone 'help' your son or 'give him a break', and it seems that's exactly what Beachcombers did.

Default some harsh comments hard to accept right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Helen- ENS is still a skilled migrant visa route, so you still need the qualifications and occupation in demand. You also need the requisite experience etc, unless you have good grounds to appeal a factor (e.g. a family member used this route to appeal age in her mid-50s because her potential employer could demonstrate that no one in Australia could be found to fill the role, and we used this route when my dh did not have enough experience but his skill set was so much in demand that this factor could be waived).

Of course it's different if you're a NZ citizen.

I thought Beachcombers took the time to give you some very useful, directed advice. You've posted on more than one occasion requesting someone 'help' your son or 'give him a break', and it seems that's exactly what Beachcombers did.

Yes, I guess so. My most recent post was nothing to do with my son's dilemma's so as I said whilst I am grateful for the support I just didn't want to be hearing things so harshly. I am trying to deal with so much at the moment and I just felt it was a bit to much to take on right now.
    My son has applied for so many jobs it's unreal. His dilemma is, he has a WHV and if he does get offered something he cannot take it for 30 days. Employers are put off by that. But at the moment he is the least of my concerns. He can only continue with his CV's and knocking on doors, and I can only continue to make things better for us. Most people will continue to strive to make things better.
    Thanks

If your money was "stolen", then how come the police have not recovered it for you? When you obviously know who the person is.
    Australia, is far from the land of milk and honey you are making it out to be.
    Your boy is entitled to work for an single employer for up to 12 months under the conditions of his WHV, not 30 days (frankly I am amazed that you think this).

Over and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast