Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Residence - no conditions?

Default Permanent Residence - no conditions?

Hi there,

I am planning to apply for my permanent residence after I have held my "NZ Resident Visa" for 2 years in September 2013.

My question is will there be any conditions on the PR? For example, would I be free to leave the country for a year or two and return?

Thanks,
    Claire

Source :http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...76July2011.pdf

Permanent resident visas are usually granted to resident
    visa holders who have complied with the conditions of their
    visa and shown a commitment to New Zealand. A permanent
    resident visa:
    • allows you to travel to and enter New Zealand anytime, and
    • allows you to stay in New Zealand indefinitely.

Do I need travel conditions?
    If you have a permanent resident visa, you do not need
    travel conditions as you have the indefinite right to travel
    to and enter New Zealand (although you must make sure
    your visa is in a valid passport).

Cheers,

As in my case PR visa did have restrictions. After 2 years of PR the irrv - indefinate returning residence visa allow you any lenght of time away from nz and never loose your residency.

But to go from PR to Citzenship you have to stay in the country right?

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf View Post
    But to go from PR to Citzenship you have to stay in the country right?
    This page give full details of the requirements for Citizenship. http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...nd-Citizenship

About staying in the country, it says this.

Presence

To be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship you must have New Zealand residence.

Residence means that Immigration New Zealand has allowed you to live in New Zealand indefinitely. You are required to have:

Been present in New Zealand;
    for at least 1,350 days with New Zealand residence during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    for at least 240 days with New Zealand residence in each of those 5 years; and
    Fully met any conditions imposed by Immigration New Zealand in regard to your New Zealand residence.

Quote Originally Posted by jspokes View Post
    As in my case PR visa did have restrictions. After 2 years of PR the irrv - indefinate returning residence visa allow you any lenght of time away from nz and never loose your residency.
    Hi Jspokes,
    These naming have now been changed to OLD PR = Resident Visa & OLD IRRV = New PR.

Source :http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ts/summary.htm

Returning residents’ visas

Successful residence applicants are generally granted a ‘resident visa’ with two years of ‘travel conditions’. This allows: travel to New Zealand (if the holder is offshore); indefinite stay in New Zealand; and multiple re-entry to New Zealand within the validity of the resident visa travel conditions. The term ‘returning resident’s visa’ (RRV) is no longer used, however, current RRV holders do not need to do anything other than follow the conditions of their current visa or permit.

‘Permanent resident visas’ replace indefinite RRVs and allow the holder indefinite right to enter New Zealand.

The requirements to progress from a ‘resident visa’ to a ‘permanent resident visa’ are similar to the current requirements to progress from a ‘non-indefinite RRV’ to an ‘indefinite RRV’.

People who hold ‘residence visas’, ‘residence permits’ and ‘non-indefinite RRVs’ on 29 November 2010 are automatically deemed to hold ‘resident visas’ with the appropriate travel conditions.

People who hold ‘indefinite RRVs’ on 29 November 2010 are automatically deemed to hold ‘permanent resident visas’ with indefinite rights to enter New Zealand.

Cheers

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by celeliza View Post
    Hi there,

I am planning to apply for my permanent residence after I have held my "NZ Resident Visa" for 2 years in September 2013.

My question is will there be any conditions on the PR? For example, would I be free to leave the country for a year or two and return?

Thanks,
    Claire
    In short, yes.

Once you have your Permanent Resident Visa (old IRRV) after two years of being here, then you are eligible to come and go as you please.

Hi,

I have been issued a Residence permit under SMC with no conditions, No.of entries says INDEFINITE. Doeas it mean I can travel in & out as many times as I require within these 2 years of period?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblue View Post
    Hi,

I have been issued a Residence permit under SMC with no conditions, No.of entries says INDEFINITE. Doeas it mean I can travel in & out as many times as I require within these 2 years of period?

Thanks in advance.
    As far as my understanding goes, yes you can travel in/out of NZ any no. of times within these 2 years.

oceanblue, yes, that's right, but don't forget that you need to establish 'commitment to NZ' during that time, in order to get PR at the end of the time. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast