Thread: Teacher Salaries

Default Teacher Salaries

Hi there,

my partner and I arrived in Wellington back in September, we've both been really lucky in finding the jobs that we wanted and are settling really well. The OH is a secondary school teacher and started her new job this month (when the schools went back). She is working at quite a unique and small school that takes on kids that have been expelled from mainstream schools. She teaches, but is also the Assistant director, so has managerial duties.

However, my question or to seek any advice, is that despite teaching in the UK for four years and having managed a department and is second in charge where she works now, the Teaching Council have put her on basic wages. Has anyone else experienced this, has anyone appealed against their grading.

To me it doesn't add up that someone with her experience is stuck at the bottom of the ladder with regards to wages.

Any advice or previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Hi hunty
    Has she completed the salary assessment form ESP7t from here http://www.schoolpayroll.govt.nz/Sit...All-forms.aspx as this is where you tell them about any relevant past experience and provide documentary evidence.
    Some of the beginning teachers on my course managed to boost their pay level significantly ie technology teachers claiming for engineering jobs etc.
    I do know that without this form you will be put on the lowest level, but once the assessment is complete any money owed will be back dated to the day you started.
    Hope that helps

That's exactly what I was about to suggest, presuming that this is a state school

Another thing to ask is whether her job comes with units (i.e. extra cash - pretty standard with higher level jobs).

Take a look here for an idea of where various teachers might sit on the scale, units etc. A newly-qualified beginning teacher where I work (in the office) is on Step 7 - I think the only vaguely relevant previous experience she had was a part-time job in a library.

Regards talking to anyone outside the school about it, School Support (if that's who the school uses) are very picky about only talking to the nominated payroll person. Most of us are lovely though

http://www.schoolsupport.co.nz/salary-assessment

What type of teacher registration does your OH have? There are two types: the first is Preliminary which means that, regardless of experience you have to have two years probation (which could lead to a lower assessment) and Subject to Confirmation (which needs three months probation)- which is what you get if you have been through threshold in the UK.

I may be wrong- but when I spoke with a Head of Dept in Christchurch a couple of years back, they said to make sure that I got STC as the pay would be affected if not...

Ta,

Eliot

Hi,

Teacher salaries are banded etc as suggested - you can find all the information you need in the collective agreement - it's a bit like the contract for teachers - link here;

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/~/media/Mi...BVariation.pdf

The whole Preliminary/STC thing probably will make a difference - but it's as well to get that salary assessment in asap to see.

ZombieDraxx Guest

The Teachers Council has nothing to do with your pay. The Ministry of Education does.

Just sayin...

I've been temping at the NZTC since August 2011. From my understanding you shouldn't be at the bottom given your experience you could contact the Ministry and ask what you can do.