Thread: Resident visa duration for first step into NZ

Default Resident visa duration for first step into NZ

Got a question here. Lets say i've just been granted a resident visa and i am still off shore and dont have any plans to move in so fast yet. How long can the resident visa last until my first visit to NZ? Is there a time frame where they will tell you "must come in" with in a time frame from the date granted? I dont think they will make uc ome over immediately though. Can't seems to find that information on the immigration site though. If you know please do tell, thanks.

If you are told you are Approved, you have six months to pay the Migrant Levy and send in your passport to have the visa (blue sticker) applied.

From the date on the visa, you have one year before you must have your visa activated (by presenting it at Immigration at the airport upon arrival in NZ). If you don't get the visa activated within a year, it will lapse, and all the expense and effort will have been for nothing. Therefore, it's advisable to allow a bit of time at the end of the year in case of travel delays.

In other words, you have approximately 18 months maximum from Approval to having to arrive in NZ.

thanks JandM! Got a few more questions. How much will the Migrant levy cost? So when i activate my visa on my first entry to NZ, is there a length i must be in NZ to keep the resident visa alive/renew? Can I leave and re-enter NZ anytime during my so called probation period (if there is one)?
    Last edited by barney; 20th February 2012 at 09:04 PM.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rant/accepted/
    You will have Residence, with travel conditions that have a life of two years. To be able to come and go freely after that two years, you have to establish 'commitment to NZ', which will then give you the right to Permanent Residence (and the right to come and go freely forever).
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

The answers to a lot of things that will be occuring to you are on the INZ website, or old threads on our forum (use Search) - in case you start wondering when nobody much is online.

thanks again JandM! i'll scout around!