Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Job While Outside NZ

Default Looking for a Job While Outside NZ

Hi All!
    Our Residence Visas (Skilled Migrant) have been stamped on our passports. Unfortunately, we're still in UAE working our asses off as I am currently pregnant. I work at a construction site (developer company) as an Administrative Assistant. My husband, however, will be the one working right away once we move to NZ. He's a Mechanical Engineer and is currently a Logistics Manager at a contracting company (Australian owned) and the project is the extension of Abu Dhabi Airport. My question is, as we are right now expecting and though we do have savings, is it more advisable for us to move to NZ and then look for a job or is there a possibility my husband will land a good paying job (NZ$ 120,000 annually will be more than enough with car, laptop, etc.) whilst applying online from UAE? We are a bit peeved as our visas require us to be there by February 13, 2013. Of course we have to be smart and practical BUT we also have to somehow take the leap IF asked. Some NZ citizens we have met here advised us it's best to go there and start looking for jobs.

Any opinions??? Thanks!

I know you'll find many threads on here dealing with the difficulty of landing a job in NZ from abroad. Many employers place a lot of reliance on being able to assess someone face to face. There's also the issue of feeling that, if they've taken the trouble to BE there, in the country, they're likely to reliably make the move (as there are undoubtedly a lot of timewasters).

The point of a date limit of activation on a Residence visa is ensuring that visa-holders really have the intention of settling in NZ.
    Peeved? There are many people around, trying hard to get whatever kind of visa, who would like the chance to be your sort of peeved. Anyway, it may help you to know that...

Along with Residence comes 2-years'-worth of travel conditions. Once you've shown a commitment to NZ over 2 years (ways of doing this available on the INZ website), this can be converted to Permanent Residence (PR) with no travel conditions, which means roughly that you can come and go at will, like a Kiwi citizen. If you had problems in winding up your affairs in your original country, you could go back there, having activated your Residence, without jeopardizing it, for ALMOST two years - the important thing is to be back in NZ to settle before the two years of travel conditions expire, as they will be renewed on demand from INSIDE NZ, whereas there is no compulsion on the authorities to renew for anyone who is abroad, and has been for more than a certain time, when they apply.

Thanks for the info! My husband and I discussed it and we will be going to NZ with or without job offers. We need to take the risk!

Peeved? I would happy you have residency!!! It is to ensure that people move within a certain period of time.
    I actually thought it was a good length of time to get your stuff overseas in order.

I know there are not many jobs over here that pay that much but that may well be possible in his profession.
    My OH had a frustrating time getting a job from overseas but did eventually get one and we are very happy here now. Just make sure you out in PR on your application and if you don't get any bites then maybe have a NZ CV writer look at your resume. OH had to do that. Just to change it to 'NZ style".
    It is easier though to get a job once in the country though.

I wish you luck and congrats on your baby!!

Question

After reading some threads regarding job hunting, I get the feeling that even though you have job search visa or residency and you state that you will be in NZ e.g. in the next 4 weeks ... No prospective employers or recruiters are willing to take a look at your CV seriously, UNLESS by the time you send your CV, you are physically already in NZ, having NZ address and NZ mobile number, then they might take a look and consider it.

Do you guys feel the same thing?

All the best...............

Yes and no. Put yourself in their shoes. They don't know 1) whether you will get a visa and 2)even if you do you will come. I don't know the stats but I'm sure a reasonable percentage don't come. That being said I think thre is a step change in interest when you do get the visa. I'm waiting (fingers-crossed) for offer letter in the US in next couple of days. Other thing of course is to show willing with a recce. It proves you are serious.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    Yes and no. Put yourself in their shoes. They don't know 1) whether you will get a visa and 2)even if you do you will come. I don't know the stats but I'm sure a reasonable percentage don't come. That being said I think thre is a step change in interest when you do get the visa. I'm waiting (fingers-crossed) for offer letter in the US in next couple of days. Other thing of course is to show willing with a recce. It proves you are serious.
    I agree with you, but fixing a face-2-face meeting appointment won't hurt them, right?
    It is not a job offer ... I mean, if they offered a job, but then the candidate could not come for whatever reasons, then the employer would feel cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by keylogger View Post
    I agree with you, but fixing a face-2-face meeting appointment won't hurt them, right?
    Last time I had been to consulting agency, they were booked back to back for few days (probably overflow of candidates or too many people job hopping at the same time), some agencies deal in various domains (e.g. contract staffing for data processing, general administration, finance etc) so they could have their hands full.

Quote Originally Posted by kitcams View Post
    Hi All!
    Our Residence Visas (Skilled Migrant) have been stamped on our passports. Unfortunately, we're still in UAE working our asses off as I am currently pregnant. I work at a construction site (developer company) as an Administrative Assistant. My husband, however, will be the one working right away once we move to NZ. He's a Mechanical Engineer and is currently a Logistics Manager at a contracting company (Australian owned) and the project is the extension of Abu Dhabi Airport. My question is, as we are right now expecting and though we do have savings, is it more advisable for us to move to NZ and then look for a job or is there a possibility my husband will land a good paying job (NZ$ 120,000 annually will be more than enough with car, laptop, etc.) whilst applying online from UAE? We are a bit peeved as our visas require us to be there by February 13, 2013. Of course we have to be smart and practical BUT we also have to somehow take the leap IF asked. Some NZ citizens we have met here advised us it's best to go there and start looking for jobs.

Any opinions??? Thanks!
    Hi, Can you tell how you are doing your job search is it by internet, or you know some persons there helping you to find a suitbale job. I am in UAE as well and i have a work visa beside that i applied already for the residency, i have a small question, how long the whole procedure took from you from the date you submitted the ITA until you get the Blue stickers, Moreover, did you do the medical check while you were pregrnant? or it was before the pregnancy? i am asking this question because me and my wife did the medical while she was pregnant. thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast