Thread: Childcare issues

Default Childcare issues

Hi All

We're a little bit further on with the emigration process as the OH's informal interview went well, and its looking as though she might get the job!!
    I'll be the main childcare and her shifts will be different every week; a selection of some early starts, some late finishes, some "On call" shifts, and some weekends. This obviously causes some issues with me finding full time regular work. We can afford to live on just her salary but would prefer us both to be working. I suppose my question is, how flexible is the average employer out there? If childcare was no issue i'd be looking to be a carpenter (a job i used to do here in the UK), but i can't see that working unless i had a very understanding boss, and i'm a bit at a loss as to what else i could do? The ideal job would pay me by the hour on a "when i can work" basis, but i don't know if they exist? I know that going self employed might work, but moving to a new country and starting a new business is quite daunting, and i didn't really enjoy the stress of working for myself when i was self employed over here. I realise it may sound as though i want my cake and to eat it, but unfortunately that's the situation.

Any ideas?

If i don't find work i guess i'll just end up as a stay at home dad and have the freedom to explore the wonderful country, workout when i want, do all the housework so weekends and evenings are free.... in fact, forget work, bring on Daddy Daycare!!!

you could always do what the kiwis do - put a sign up outside your house - put out a few leaflets - odd jobs etc

Builders here only really seem interested in the big jobs - you could only be available when your wifes home - wouldnt make a fortune but could supplement her income and be there for the kids

PS its no holiday being at home with the kids and doing all the houswork etc

Thanks Woodies, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm not looking to make millions, but every little helps, and i've got a wide range of building skills so being a bit of an odd job man suits me really.

I know it's no holiday being at home with the kids. I used to joke with my wife that i'd be a stay at home dad while she went out to work here in the UK, but i soon realised that being a house wife/hubby is no easy task, and is just as much of a job as going out to work - unfortunately it doesn't pay as well.

My brother does home remodeling jobs. And it is ALL word of mouth for him. He isn't a marketer at all, so luckily if you do a good job, generally friends and family see the work and more jobs start to trickle in. Lots of people want to get their bathrooms redone or kitchens redone or other projects around the house etc. That might be a real option for you. Once you get the first job, then it goes easy from there. Trust me, finding someone who can do this is like finding a gold mine in my humble opinion. Best of luck to you and your family.

Just consider the new building restrictions that come into effect in March, people performing certain building works need to be liscenced building practioners - link:

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/builditright?...FWJKpgod7zapKw

Just make sure this doesn't limit the work you can do - or be aware of registrations/qualifications you may need to go through befrehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul057 View Post
    Hi All

We're a little bit further on with the emigration process as the OH's informal interview went well, and its looking as though she might get the job!!
    I'll be the main childcare and her shifts will be different every week; a selection of some early starts, some late finishes, some "On call" shifts, and some weekends. This obviously causes some issues with me finding full time regular work. We can afford to live on just her salary but would prefer us both to be working. I suppose my question is, how flexible is the average employer out there? If childcare was no issue i'd be looking to be a carpenter (a job i used to do here in the UK), but i can't see that working unless i had a very understanding boss, and i'm a bit at a loss as to what else i could do? The ideal job would pay me by the hour on a "when i can work" basis, but i don't know if they exist? I know that going self employed might work, but moving to a new country and starting a new business is quite daunting, and i didn't really enjoy the stress of working for myself when i was self employed over here. I realise it may sound as though i want my cake and to eat it, but unfortunately that's the situation.

Any ideas?

If i don't find work i guess i'll just end up as a stay at home dad and have the freedom to explore the wonderful country, workout when i want, do all the housework so weekends and evenings are free.... in fact, forget work, bring on Daddy Daycare!!!
    When our first child was born, I decided to start my own business, working from home. And it means that I have heaps of time for the kids and it takes alot of pressure of my wife.

So, you said you were a carpenter, find a house that you could have some space to make into a workshop and work from home. It's awesome!

My husband and I have a similar situation, in that I work all the hours under the sun differing every week and he works M-Fri, 8-5 mainly. We use before and after school care..he drops at 0730, is at work by 8, picks up at or just before 5 30 after leaving work at 5. Sometimes I am off in morning and do school run and then vice versa on morning shifts.
    I also found day care here (we only used it for 3 weeks till youngest started school)similar hrs and we trade off at either end of the day.

I hope that helps and did not sound too confusing!!!

Other great suggestions made as well.

ZombieDraxx Guest

Operating in NZ as a sole trader is super easy if you don't plan on making more than $60,000 NZD a year. (If you make more then $60,000 you have to get GST registered and charge GST to your customers and claim it on your taxes)

Thanks everybody, some really good ideas there. The plan is that i definitely won't work for the first 6 months, and in that time i'll focus on getting us settled. After that i feel like i now have options, and i suppose the best thing to do would be to see how things pan out when we get out there. I'm just a bit impatient i guess, and i'm generally worried about how we'll get by out there - it really feels like a leap into the unknown.

It seems like the options are to work for myself, which is actually starting to sound appealing if there is a genuine shortage of tradesmen out there, or using before/after school clubs to allow me to be employed, which would also work for us.

Thanks again for the replies, i've had my worries quashed... until the next wobble!!!