Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job offer package

Default Job offer package

Hi all! My partner was offered a role and the package is quite different from what we usually see in Singapore.

Here, he was offered on contract and on an hourly basis. He is in the I.T field. Is this a norm?
    Thanks in advance!

People can either be hired as permanent employees, fixed term contract employees or self employed contractors. As your partner will be paid by the hour I expect he is being hired as a self employed contractor (assuming the role is full-time). Similar to any one hiring a service, the company hiring your partner pays an hourly rate for the work performed. They may also reimburse for certain out of pocket expenses e.g. cellphone if people need to regularly contact you as part of the role. As contractors generally need to provide their own equipment (as clients should not provide equipment or benefits like they would do for their employees) the extras the hiring business can pay is limited. In practice companies do sometimes provide the same equipment or similar benefits to their employees.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    Hi all! My partner was offered a role and the package is quite different from what we usually see in Singapore.

Here, he was offered on contract and on an hourly basis. He is in the I.T field. Is this a norm?
    Thanks in advance!
    Not sure if I'm understanding it correctly, do you mean to say he got better deal or otherwise?

I think generally the positions are quite clear if its contract role or permanent ones (I assume the job was advertised as contract), sometimes contracts are drawn on hourly basis but usually wage is calculated on daily basis - from Project Management (point of view in IT) calculating on daily basis allows to track IT initiatives in a better way (likewise hourly based).

I think your partner will have to take indemnity insurance,he would be required to raise invoices to the client (his employer) and settlement is usually done in about 15-20 days (not sure on this) from invoicing his client. Usually there is a notice period of 1 or 2 weeks for either party to call off the contract, I have seen people contracting for 2 (and more years) with the same client, hourly wages are pretty high but job security is the risk (like change of management, processes, relationship with client, cost cutting etc).
    Last edited by Sun777; 28th February 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: More info

Thanks guys for the info shared!

OH rejected the contract role and took on a permanent role with another company

Thanks guys for the info shared!

OH rejected the contract role and took on a permanent role with another company
    Congrats !!! That's fast !

Hey Faye, can you recommend any recruiting agencies in NZ? I found a number of them online, but unsure of which is the best...

The contract job was not advertised. My partner sent out a cold email to this company and he was contacted for a casual meet up over coffee.

After 2 meet up the guy told my partner he is employed and sent over the contract via email. It was then that we realized it's a contract role.

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    People can either be hired as permanent employees, fixed term contract employees or self employed contractors. As your partner will be paid by the hour I expect he is being hired as a self employed contractor (assuming the role is full-time). Similar to any one hiring a service, the company hiring your partner pays an hourly rate for the work performed. They may also reimburse for certain out of pocket expenses e.g. cellphone if people need to regularly contact you as part of the role. As contractors generally need to provide their own equipment (as clients should not provide equipment or benefits like they would do for their employees) the extras the hiring business can pay is limited. In practice companies do sometimes provide the same equipment or similar benefits to their employees.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Singapura Cat View Post
    Hey Faye, can you recommend any recruiting agencies in NZ? I found a number of them online, but unsure of which is the best...
    My partner found his job by sending out CV directly to employers themselves. But some good ones he recommend are Candle IT and Hudson.

Some other just wanted to meet up and "reserve" you

My partner found his job by sending out CV directly to employers themselves. But some good ones he recommend are Candle IT and Hudson.

Some other just wanted to meet up and "reserve" you
    My partner is listing down the various potential employment venues in preparation , I do hope there will opportunities for him to be "reserved" in the future. Will check out the Candle IT and Hudson too, thanks alot !

Cool! Will u be heading down to Wellington or Auckland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast