Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpacking times

Question Unpacking times

How long did you take to unload your precious items, shipped from your homeland? For some people the circumstances mean they put their boxes into storage until they're settled. Or perhaps you couldn't wait to be surrounded by your familiar things and dived in like it was Christmas day?

We took out insurance on our belongings and were aware of the time limit to make a claim for damages discovered, hence we did a 'quick check' without unpacking straight away. But then waited for several week to unpack properly as we had to move house again.

But I'm wondering how many of us have been caught out by the time limit clause on some insurances. And perhaps, considering the psychological effects of uprooting ones life to the other side of the world, would it be possible to have the system take this in to consideration?

2.5 years in and the some boxes are still unopened...

same!

Same same here!! Even after dropping lot of stuff at various charities, we still have few unopened boxes - sometimes I wonder why on earth did we buy so many things that I haven't touched in years.

Despite living happily without our "effects" for nearly five months - we soon settled back into having lots of belongings around us once our container arrived.
    We were renovating the house so had a quick look at most boxes but then put lots into storage.
    To be honest I wish we hadn't bought so much with us - I'm glad to have some treasured items but it's amazing what you learn to live without and feel so much free-er.

I'll bet you can sell the unwanted things on TradeMe for more than you'd have got for them in a hurry before leaving the UK, though, so perhaps they'll have paid you for the trouble in the end.

I have to admit that we still have boxes of books that are yet to be opened, and we've only been here 4 years. If you wonder why they are still unopened, well, one day I will build those book shelves and be able to sit and read them all again. Don't know when that will be though, too much else to do. Everything else was unpacked within a few days of it arriving.

You all have me thinking now about stuff to take "do I need this? do I need that?" if its been a couple of years and some of your items are still unpacked... Sounds like we will have to be 'tough with our stuff'!!

Then you find other threads where people say, 'I wish I hadn't left x.' Part of the issue is, I think, that some people's style of life and priorities change (and that may be only for the time while they get established) when they get to NZ, and others' don't, and it's not necessarily possible to predict which group you'll be in, till you get there. Crystal ball time again!

We still have a good number of unopened boxes, books and ornaments. Wouldn't know by now if it was container shipment damage or earthquake. It has been thrown round the garage so often. Aim is when we buy our house and get settled to sort out properly then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast