Thread: Teaching in Tauranga

Default Teaching in Tauranga

Hello all,

Just wondering - has anyone here had any experience of the differences in trying to find primary teaching work in Tauranga (and surrounding - Maunganui, Papamoa etc) compared to say Auckland?

I know population obviously has an effect, and I hear that the teaching staff in schools tend to be far more long-standing, but the number of opportunities posted is remarkably lower - perhaps typically 7 or 8 for the whole BOP region on any given day.

Is it because, they don't use Ed-gazette as often and hire from word of mouth/the local press?

Just wondering at the moment as beginning the house hunt here in Auckland has probably been one of the worst experiences we've had yet. Yes, we're looking on the Shore, but everything is sooooooo expensive - for what you get. Seems vendors on the Shore think it's a failing to sell their house for anything less than $500k, and people are fully expecting properties to go for anything up to $150k above the July 2011 CV! How can that be sustainable? We've been looking at things with CV's well under $500k and agents just say, oh yes, this will be mid to high 5's. How about the place with a 2011 CV of $350k, and an asking price of $495k?? Crikey!

We knew things were expensive, and we know we're looking in an expensive area, but the condition of some things that are asking top dollar is surprising. Just don't want to cripple ourselves financially, but still want to live in a nice comfortable home in a relatively nice spot if we can. At the moment, anywhere outside Auckland seems to offering this in abundance - but the work is more limited. When I think of what we sold in the UK, and how much for in comparison to what's available here for the same money it makes we weep. Having said that - I suppose that was in Bolton, and we've effectively moved to London in terms of crazy house prices.

I'm already sowing the seed of the possibility of remote working, so I could maybe move and keep my job which would be great if that came off, but Mrs G would want to find a teaching job - pref management since she's already made assistant principle at her current place.

Other than that which we can't really control, we're doing well - we both have good jobs, our kids are loving it here and we don't struggle necessarily so we're in a good position, so that's why it's frustrating that when I'm driving along the East Coast Road I'm looking at entire suburbs with unaffordable housing - maybe we arrived 10 years too late to live in Auckland. I don't know. It's not surprising so many people still rent here.

Sorry this sounds like a negative post in part - we are enjoying it, this is just a hurdle that seems difficult to cross and I'm not sure how realistic a move elsewhere in NZ is given our professions.

to give you some perspective:
    a house 45 mins from wellington that is a nice family home will set you back 400k
    the salaries for you both would be comparable. the difference between the two equals quality of life

how do you mean buddy?

You mean quality of life would likely be better in Welly? Maybe we need to sell this to Mrs G.

bump

Cheers, though I think I agree with your off forum point re future opportunity.

Lots to think about. If only our evil landlord wasn't kicking us out in the middle of winter!

aha! txt you but no reply.. what time you thinking for Skype?

prob not my work number? what times good for you? I'm on now.