Thread: Beijing CO assigned !

Default Beijing CO assigned !

We got a reply from Beijing after the long delays We have a CO assigned finally and an interview next Tuesday I have a small worry though...my OH has not been to New Zealand , but he studied in Australia before. Will this be an issue in assessing our application?

Is he the principal applicant? If so, he's going to be asked questions to find out what he knows about NZ, how to look for work, how New Zealanders do things, etc.. Even if you are the principal applicant, the CO may well talk to him as well, as he's going to need to be able to fit in, too. Look at the old threads about interview questions to prepare. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-27398.html The more you both know, the better impression you will make. The CO's job at the interview is to judge how employable the main applicant is, and how well you will both contribute to NZ life.

JandM, he is the main applicant! He's the adventurous type and I hope the CO will take that into factor XD I been to NZ when I was young, really love the peace and place. We will look into the older threads tonight!

This is the official word on the interviews.

SM21.10 Assessment of whether a principal applicant can realise their potential to successfully settle and contribute
    Assessment of whether a principal applicant can otherwise demonstrate an ability or can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand will be based on:
    information obtained during a structured interview with the principal applicant and if required, other family members included in the application; and
    all other information contained in the application for a resident visa; and
    any further verification of the application (including information provided at interview).
    That assessment will include consideration of the following factors:
    skilled employment prospects;
    familiarity with New Zealand and preparedness for settlement of the principal applicant and, where relevant, the partner and dependent children included in the application; and
    linkages and support in New Zealand, through networks and family
    Skilled employment prospects are the primary consideration for the Immigration Officer when determining whether to grant residence, a SMC job search visa, or decline the application as set out in (d), (g), and (h) below. Note: Principal applicants who do not intend to take up full-time employment may not be considered to have good employment prospects (e.g. those who intend to undertake full-time study).
    If the principal applicant is in New Zealand and holds, or in the last 24 months, has held a work visa granted under the WD Study to work instructions then they are not eligible for a work visa under the SMC Job Search Instructions (WR5 (b)).
    If an immigration officer assesses that a principal applicant has not demonstrated the ability to successfully settle and contribute but can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand the principal applicant will be eligible for the grant of a SMC job search work visa (subject to the requirements of WR5 being met) to enable them to realise their potential by obtaining an offer of skilled employment (see SM7) in New Zealand.
    Principal applicants who are in New Zealand and are granted SMC job search work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of nine months.
    Principal applicants who are not in New Zealand and are granted SMC job search work visas under these instructions will have the decision on their SMC application deferred for a period of 12 months to enable travel to New Zealand and a stay in New Zealand of nine months (refer to WR5.5).
    Where, following the further assessment, a principal applicant, despite not meeting the requirements of SM21.5(a), is assessed as having a high potential to readily obtain skilled employment in New Zealand, they will be assessed as having demonstrated the ability to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Where this occurs, subject to meeting other relevant requirements, the principal applicant and their family members included in the application, may be granted resident visas.
    If an immigration officer determines, as a result of the further assessment, that a principal applicant does not have a high potential to readily obtain skilled employment in New Zealand they will be assessed as not having demonstrated that they can realise their potential to settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Where this occurs, their application for a resident visa in New Zealand under the Skilled Migrant Category will be declined.
    If (c) above applies, but a SMC job search work visa is not granted, the application for a resident visa will be declined.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm (Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM21 Settlement and Contribution Requirements » SM21.10 Assessment of whether a principal applicant can realise their potential to successfully settle and contribute)

Wow...interview right after CO allocation.? I think your application was assessed before you got the notification of CO assignment to your application..that is why interview was scheduled right after CO allocation.

Anyway good luck ...and keep us updated as you move forward and I strongly feel that blue bananas are just around the corner for you guys.

JandM, thank you very much for the information. Seems like skilled employment is the most important key factor. OH has some ex colleagues working in companies in New Zealand, so when the times comes, they can help rope him in.

klt, the CO and interviewer are 2 different people and they need additional info documents from my government by the end of this month, some minor glitches in the Singapore system, I pray it will be smooth sailing. Thank you for your encouragement!

Good news! Hope everything smooth :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Singapura Cat View Post

klt, the CO and interviewer are 2 different people and they need additional info documents from my government by the end of this month, some minor glitches in the Singapore system, I pray it will be smooth sailing. Thank you for your encouragement!
    Aha.. I always thought CO is the person who interviews you. It now seems to me that assessment by CO and interview may well go in parallel.

Keep us posted as you make progress..

For most forum members who have told us, it has been their own CO who interviewed them, klt - not to say that some haven't had a change of CO along the way, if there was a reallocation for organizational reasons.