Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizenship..when to apply

We've been looking into this too and here are our dates (for info we have come from the UK):

Blue PR sticker issued 6th August 2007
    Arrived in NZ 11th August 2007
    So year one is 11th Aug 2007 to 10th Aug 2008 and so on in 12mth periods.
    You need to have been in NZ for at least 1350 days in the five x 12mth periods since landing AND been here in NZ for 240 days in each of those 12mth periods.
    These means that we become eligible to apply for citizenship on (IIRC) 9th April 2012 NOT our 5th anniversary of landing here which is 11th Aug 2012 as we previously believed.
    I've confirmed all this by phone with DIA.

Some other UK ex-pat friends of ours have just been through the application process and said they just took all the necessary paperwork to the DIA in Auckland (you need to book an appointment) and it took about an hour. They do all the autenticating of photographs and photocopying whilst you wait. It cost them $470.20 per adult. After approx. 6 weeks they got a letter approving them and now they are waiting for the ceremony so that they can apply for passports.

Please note this is all as at March 2012 and is what we have found out about our particular situation.

HTH
    Mrs B.

For those interested here is the DIA link on requirements

http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...enDocument#six

We have now been here 5 years but my first year(Dave) I was only here 180 days, Caroline can apply now as she stayed here while I sorted things out in UK

so can any one tell me what the true advantages are of having a kiwi passport please?

it strikes me it doesnt help me get healthcare, it doesnt help me cross the ditch, in fact it doesnt really do much practically... unless i wanted to represent nz at sport ;o)

just wondering if someone could enlighten me please?

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post
    so can any one tell me what the true advantages are of having a kiwi passport please?

it strikes me it doesnt help me get healthcare, it doesnt help me cross the ditch, in fact it doesnt really do much practically... unless i wanted to represent nz at sport ;o)

taken from the link to my previous post at the DIA, it also means you do not have to queue for hours at heathrow on a british passport as the queue is always 10 times longer than the foreign passport queue

Privileges
    • The right to enter and remain in New Zealand at any time without an immigration permit.
    • The right to a New Zealand passport (which entitles holders to visa-free travel to a range of countries).
    • The ability to seek assistance from New Zealand diplomatic representatives when travelling overseas.
    • Full economic rights:
      • Some public service positions may only be held by New Zealand citizens;
      • Ownership of rural land is difficult for people who are not New Zealand citizens.
    • Full access to education:
      • Only New Zealand citizens qualify for some subsidised fees, scholarships and awards. In addition, only New Zealand citizens may qualify for financial assistance from some overseas universities.
    • Access to international sport:
      • Some sports require that international players are citizens of the country they represent.

While it might not mean a huge much in practical terms, citizenship means a lot to us personally. To us it is the final step to transition from an ex-pat American living in NZ to a New Zealander.

That may not mean the same thing for many migrants, but it is important to us.

JandM
    JandM is offline Moderator

Hi, Walshy.

Do you have a good reason to give them?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think so.

As a lot of you know, we only lasted 6 months the first time around before running off back to London, once back we realised our folly and decided to come back to New Zealand within a month, but just as we were making plans to return my sister became terminally ill, meaning we didnt get back until much later than we hoped as we had the citizenship requirements in our head, she was only given a month but lasted more like 7.

Which is why we are short by about 50 days or so in the first 2 years.

cheer sfor the reply.. as i inferred though... cant see why it is a big deal... is being at a queue at heathrow enough of a reason... why go to heathrow if you are a new zealander!?! ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by broadsword08 View Post

It does help you cross the ditch, Kiwi citizens are free to work and love in Oz as they please

Quote Originally Posted by walshy View Post
    It does help you cross the ditch, Kiwi citizens are free to work and love in Oz as they please
    It helps you cross it, but not get PR for Oz. I'm not sure if you're brazen or foolish Walshy- you can't apply for NZ citizenship just because you want to move to Oz, and yet you've made it very clear on a public forum that that is exactly what you want to do!

Also, I'm concerned that you may have misunderstood the NZDIA bit about residence for citizenship:

Please Note: If you can show that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a reduction, you may be considered as long as you have a minimum presence in New Zealand of 450 days with New Zealand residence in the 20 months before you make your application.
    I always read that as you need to have exceptional circumstances to warrant receiving it early, not that you have to show exceptional circumstances as to why you don't meet the residence requirements. Surely your CO is going to ask why you need citizenship early? Though I may be wrong- have you asked them which it is? If not, I'd suggest doing so anonymously if possible.

Where did I say I was applying for Kiwi citizenship to move to Australia?

Another poster said in this thread that having Kiwi citizenship does not help you cross the ditch and I merely informed him that it does if you want to do so, you can live and work in Australia as a Kiwi citizen as long as you like.
    Last edited by walshy; 12th March 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast