Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizenship..when to apply

Quote Originally Posted by walshy View Post
    Where did I say I was applying for Kiwi citizenship to move to Australia?
    Here

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ht=#post421361

That's the trouble with forums- you can forget you've said something but it's all there in your post track.

Decided to pm you this post Walshy, but I will say it's not wise to use the same username on other forums.

There is no escape

Busted!

The Kiwi passport is possibly the most sought-after in the world as it allows entrance into the most countries without a visa. It's rather unfortunate that it's only really a 4 1/2 year passport (as you can't use a passport in its last 6 months usually).

I was going to post the link to the DIA's calculator where you can find out your earliest date that you can apply for a grant of citizenship, but as you're just using NZ as a stepping stone, you'll get no help from me whatsoever. Unimpressed.

Here is a hypothetical question which is related to my real life one (simplified a bit)!

Imagine the following.

Landed in NZ in February 2008 with a work visa.
    Granted PR on March 1st 2008.

So the clock starts on March 1st 2008 right?

March 08 - March 09: >240 days
    March 09 - March 10: >240 days
    March 10 - March 11: >240 days
    March 11 - March 12: >240 days
    March 12 - March 13: <240 days (let's say it's 235!)

Let's say the 1350 day limit is met comfortably, and all other requirements. Leaving only that final 12 months that messed things up.

What I don't understand is then when would I be eligible to apply. Obviously NOT on 1st March 2013 because the 240 days requirement was not met in the preceding 12 months.

So when can you apply? Do you have to wait another 5 years to get that pesky <240 day year "out of the system" (i.e. so that in March 2018 the previous 5 years will all have had >240 days present)?

Or, do you wait 240 days from 1st March 2013 (assuming you don't leave NZ in that time) and apply then?

I am very confused by how they define their "year" (meaning the 5 years preceding the application). Or, do YOU define the "year" by deciding when you apply?

thanks

I think you need to work BACKWARDS in working it out, and only apply when you can fit in five years in which you meet the requirement, between the date of application and the time when you started to be in NZ on a Residence visa (PR as was then in your case).

Going by the definition it seems March'18 but I would also clarify this with DIA as just about 5 days would mean 5 years of wait (AGAIN!!)

for at least 1,350 days with New Zealand residence during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    for at least 240 days with New Zealand residence in each of those 5 years; and

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Going by the definition it seems March'18 but I would also clarify this with DIA as just about 5 days would mean 5 years of wait (AGAIN!!)
    I spoke to DIA and it sounds like my "extra 5 year wait" theory is not correct. Which is nice!

As JandM said you have to work backwards from your application date. In other words, select your application date such that in the 5 years prior to that exact date you meet the criteria. For me, most of my travel is condensed into a 6 month period this year. So I wait until next year and pick a date such that this years' travel actually gets split between two "application years".

Maybe a simple made-up example, to help people searching in the future.

Imagine you went overseas from 1st May 2012 until October 1st 2012 and your 5 year anniversary is March 15th 2013. For simplicity, imagine no other overseas travel since gaining PR.

You can't apply on March 15th because you don't meet the 240 days present requirement (you would actually be about 210).

But if you wait until, say, 1st July 2013...

1st July 2012 - 1st July 2013 : Away for only 3 months (July, August, September 2012) so >240 days
    1st July 2011 - 1st July 2012: Away for only 2 months (May and June 2012) so >240 days

So that's the general strategy. Split your travel so that it if it's a problem, you can spread it between different "application years".

Please for future reference don't take this as official advice, it's my interpretation of a conversation with DIA, illuminated with an extremely simple example.

I believe things get much more complicated if you had, say, a sub 240 day year earlier on, or halfway through your 5 year initial period.

Actually that's a good idea. I'm happy for you, do keep us updated as you progress....All the best

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast