Page 1 of 24 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizenship..when to apply

Default Citizenship..when to apply

Hey guys, been a while since I wrote on here during this long roller coaster of ups and downs.

Has anyone out there applied and recieved their citizenship while being just short of the exact requirements and still been granted.

Citizenship website says they can grant exceptions from time to time for good reason.

We have now entered our 4th year and starting to look ahead to our 5th and thinking ahead.

Requirements are 5 years since first entry, which we will have on 31st December 2013

1350 days in NZ, which we will have

240 in each year, which we will have for 3 years but be 50 days short for the first 2.

My question is, has anyone else been in this boat or know someone else and still been granted citizenship with a good reason?

Cheers Guys

Hi, Walshy.

Do you have a good reason to give them?

we are 74 days short in the second year but by moving the dates around instead of applying in Nov 2013 we will be eligable in April 2014! this may work for you?

I have never heard of and exception being granted while reading these forums, but they might. It all depends on what their current policy is. Just give them a call and ask them direct.

Also a note for anyone considering citizenship. You are eligible to apply on the 240th day of your 4th year in country - you do not have to wait until your 5th year anniversary date of when you entered the country. Once you meet the 240 day requirement for that 5th year you are good to go and can apply. I figured this out playing with the online eligibility calculator and then confirmed it with a quick phone call.

Our application goes in 14 May 2014 - already have it on the calendar

I thought you were rethinking Australia, Walshy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    I thought you were rethinking Australia, Walshy?
    I remembered that, too...,and restrained myself from saying that this might not be a convincing reason to be allowed to apply earlier

I've recently been thinking about this, when does the clock start? Issue of first visa, landing to work with work visa, issue of "old" PR or "old" irrv? Nearly 5th anniversary with only the odd holiday back to the UK. The online calculator doesn't seem to differentiate between permissions to be in NZ, it just seems to be concerned with how long.

Thanks.

It asks at the beginning when you arrived and when you were granted PR- well my visa sticker says something like "the holder may arrive in NZ and on arrival be granted ...", so for me I think my PR grant date is the same as my arrival date. It's too early in the morning for me to go and find my passport, but I think I've got that right.

I won't qualify until I've been here for seven years, due to lengthy gaps for holidays and an Australian jolly!

Quote Originally Posted by alan999 View Post
    I've recently been thinking about this, when does the clock start? Issue of first visa, landing to work with work visa, issue of "old" PR or "old" irrv? Nearly 5th anniversary with only the odd holiday back to the UK. The online calculator doesn't seem to differentiate between permissions to be in NZ, it just seems to be concerned with how long.

Thanks.
    It is tied to NZ residency and they define that as "‘New Zealand residence’ means you have a residence permit, a residence visa, or a permanent residence visa issued by Immigration New Zealand or you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident."

You have to be present in NZ with one of those things so according to that definitition, time on a work visa does not count. I think the clock starts once your residency was activated (ie arriving on the plane or converted from a work visa if you were already here).

Thanks, I thought that would be the case.

Page 1 of 24 123 ... LastLast