Thread: Monthly Cell Phone Plan - No Credit?

Default Monthly Cell Phone Plan - No Credit?

Anyone know if new migrants, with no history of credit in New Zealand can sign up for monthly paid cellphone plans? I ask because Vodafone's broadband plan requires a monthly cell phone plan to get a "good" deal on internet.

Here's what my credit check consisted of: Do you know someone who is a current Telecom customer in NZ? What is their name, phone number and address?

I got a smartphone plan 2 days after landing, including the smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Here's what my credit check consisted of: Do you know someone who is a current Telecom customer in NZ? What is their name, phone number and address?
    Hillarious. Got to love it!

I don't remember providing any special documents for credit history, we just mentioned that we were new immigrants & provided last 2 postal addresses (in UK).

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

ScottNZ - the system here is the complete opposite of the US Credit Score system. Having experienced both, it is wonderful to move here and not actually have to build "trust" in your ability to pay. Here it is more like you are trusted with credit until you do something to knock your score, not like the US where you aren't trusted to start with and must create it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    Anyone know if new migrants, with no history of credit in New Zealand can sign up for monthly paid cellphone plans? I ask because Vodafone's broadband plan requires a monthly cell phone plan to get a "good" deal on internet.
    Yes new migrants can sign-up for monthly plan - I did the day we arrived and no problems at all , Just carry ID proof - Passport will do good & a credit card.

We arrived in Auckland from the UK two weeks ago and had no problem taking out plans with Vodafone. When we asked if our lack of NZ credit history would be a problem the girl just laughed and said 'no, it will make things a lot easier'. Some things are certainly a lot more straightforward here!