Thread: Shipping quote differences

Default Shipping quote differences

We are heading out to Wellington in June (me, my wife and our 3 year old). As such we have looked at the cost of shipping the contents of out 3 bed rented house.

Having read the previous threads on here I have had 4 quotes from Anglo-Pacific, Crown, GB Liners and Pickfords. The first three all came back with somewhere between 600 and 700 cubic feet and prices between £3.1k and £3.5k for a shared 20ft container. Then pickfords came round yesterday and said we would need 1000 cubic feet and therefore our best option was a sole use 20ft container and quoted £3.4k

While perplexed by the high volume quote from Pickfords given they are offering a similar price for a sole use container as the other are fora shared container and they have offices at both ends I am leaning towards them.

Any thoughts or experience people have on different companies making different space estimates, or you ending up paying for more space than quoted would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gladdice View Post

Any thoughts or experience people have on different companies making different space estimates, or you ending up paying for more space than quoted would be very helpful.
    So far we have only had two quotes, one of Anglo Pacific and Pickfords and they both have said we will need a full container. We are moving from North Yorkshire to Te Aroha NI. Anglo Pacific have quoted us £3.5 and Pickfords £3.4!! A.Pacific have said there is still a little room if we want to add just that little bit more but we will not get it cheaper if we don't use it up!! We have John Masons coming next Thursday so not sure what they will quote us on!!

Good luck with your move and hope its stress free, hope this helped!!

Given the difference I would go for sole use container. Just remember on threads that I have read over the years that the shared use containers often took longer to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Given the difference I would go for sole use container.
    That is the current plan, just intrigued by the much higher volume quote from Pickfords

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Given the difference I would go for sole use container. Just remember on threads that I have read over the years that the shared use containers often took longer to arrive.
    With shared containers, the shippers will wait until they have filled the container before shipping it. That's relying on finding someone else (one or more parties) who have the right amount of stuff to fill your leftover space. That's fine if you're filling up someone else's space and then getting shipped straight away. But if you're at the start of the process, you could be in for a wait. I have two sets of friends who have both shipped shared in the last year. One is getting their stuff this month after shipping in January - which is good going. The others took over 3-4 months to get theirs.

I would always go sole use from this perspective.

There are two of us and we've shipped the contents of a 3-bed house twice now and both times we filled a 20-foot container. We do seem to accumulate a lot of stuff along the way though!