Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: immigrants dislike immigration!

Default immigrants dislike immigration!

Not sure if this is in the right thread...

how many of you are emigrating in part due directly or indirectly to your home country's immigration policy? and why?

Not at all.

The reason I ask is that all the media seems to go on about immigration policy constantly and I wondered if its a media frenzy or whether the average person doesnt feel like that?

The media where, about which country?

Speaking of the UK, there was recently a splash about a suggested policy change, but it sank from view very quickly (2 - 3 days of slight mentions?), and was only a suggestion in any case. I haven't heard anybody discussing it, and I probably only paid attention to it because of our involvement with/knowledge about NZ immigration.

It has always amazed the amount of immigrants I speak to here who seem to be anti-immigration. Although they feel they had the right to seek out a better life for their family, they don't seem to want to extend that right to anyone else!

yeah, I've come across that too sam. JandM.. mostly in the British press tbh. I spose uk or should I say euro policy is unique in that people that speak different languages can move freely across many countries.

Personally I would like to see open borders round the world, with truly global citizenship....but that would be a few years off with the benefits culture and poverty existing in some areas...but if you allow migration without reliance on benefits it would be interesting to see how the world population spread itself out!

I like immigrants. They tend to improve the food. Remember what British food was like before we discovered international flavours? Malaysia has the best food in the world (IMHO) and a wide variety of cultures, mostly there through different waves of immigration.

I'm like Mamee & Co and think that freedom of movement of people/labour around the world is not only an economically sound principle but also a natural urge many have to seek out greener pastures stemming from our earlier nomadic days when we simply *had* to know what was over the other side of the mountain even if it meant crossing harsh and dangerous terrain. Plus on a personal level the thought of staying put within one square mile all my life - like many do - terrifies me. As in all things it should be about choice and options. The option to live on the land your great, great, great grandfather lived on or the option to seek something new.

And there are, of course always those who would like to stay put but war, poverty and climate makes their place of birth simply not an option.

I find the way people rationalise them being immigrants yet hating immigrants in their own country is normally on 'quality'...they feel themselves skilled with something to offer while others come to take advantage.

I often hope they meet their double in NZ, who will then have a go at them for taking New Zealanders' jobs and sponging off the NZ education and health system....in the vague hope that they will realise that as they are nothing like that, then maybe those they judged so harshly aren't too.

Unfortunately there is a criminal element in every section of society, so it only takes a few immigrants to cheat the system for them all to be tarred with the same brush. The argument that having just read about a white male burglar/rapist/murdered/benefit cheat doesn't mean that all white people are like that, or all men - seems to be wasted on them.

There is also a lack of understanding of how important all immigration, (not just skilled), is to some countries as the birth rate declines and the population becomes top heavy.

Preserving cultures is a very worthy cause but taking a snapshot of the World at one random point in time and saying this is how it must stay forever is just misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Personally I would like to see open borders round the world, with truly global citizenship....but that would be a few years off with the benefits culture and poverty existing in some areas...but if you allow migration without reliance on benefits it would be interesting to see how the world population spread itself out!
    I hope you aren't globalist banker. Haha

Actully that was the case couple of hundred years ago. Yes, God made earth for everyone to explore. But if one country is robing another than no surprise to have troubles across world. That's today situation nowadays
    I am strongly in favour of restriction free moves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast