Thread: Fresh Yeast?

Question Fresh Yeast?

I was hoping to bake some cinammon scrolls this weekend, but really hate using dried yeast as find that I never get as good a result with it as with fresh yeast, so was wondering if anybody knew where I could buy fresh yeast from in New Zealand?

Back in Finland they used to have it on the chilled isle near the milks etc, and in the UK I could get it from a health food shop or by asking at the supermarket bakery section, but so far I've had no luck finding it here, so would be grateful for any advice on where to look.

My d-i-l got some from the bakery section at Pak n Save.

Thanks JandM, I actually asked at the bakery of our local Pak n Save today and they just pointed me to the dry stuff, so maybe I just got the wrong person then.

Some New Worlds have 'lumps' of fresh yeast near the bakery department in the chiller, some Fresh Choice (not sure if there are any on the North Island, though) do, too.......,

and maybe it was really the wrong person.

I definitely bought fresh yeast in Dunedin at Pak'n Save!

But, having said that, the dry yeast should work as well..., my mum always used to take the dry one since they lived outside the next town (that is Germany, but I don't think it makes any difference?).

I get good results with either.

I have bought fresh yeast from the bakery department at both pak n save and new world.

Dried yeast is fine too, but the small sachets last longer than the tubs.