Thread: In-Person interview questions recall - Skilled Migrant

Default In-Person interview questions recall - Skilled Migrant

I had my in person interview in Dec 2011. I received “Approve in principle” email in Mar 2012.

Below are the questions I was asked by the interview officer. I post them here and hopefully will help some others (thanks for their help!), like I was helped before.

They are sure not the exact words, but the gist is there. The interview took about 35 minutes.

1. Have you ever been to NZ? How do you feel?
    2. Have you applied job in NZ? How does it go?
    3. What industry are you in and do you know the job market situation in this industry in NZ?
    4. Do you know the salary range in NZ in your industry?
    5. How long do you think it’ll take you to find a job in NZ?
    6. Are you looking for further career advancement in NZ? Are you ok with lower level jobs?
    7. How much do you think will cost your family to live in NZ, per week, in average?
    8. Do you know how much is the rent in NZ for a flat/house? How much if to buy them?
    9. Other than NZ, have you considered any other country to immigrate to?
    10. What difficulties do you foresee when first migrating to NZ? How do you plan to overcome?
    11. Do you have any friend in NZ? How did you know them and what help can they provide?
    12. Do you have any housing plan?
    13. What is your wife’s plan if you’re granted the approval? (my wife is also an professional)
    14. Where do you want to settle in NZ?

Hi Swang,
    Thanks for infor and congratulation
    Regarding question 9 - have you consider other countries to immigrate than NZ, how do you answer?
    should we mention that we also interested in immigration to Canada and/or Australia ?
    Brs
    Brian

Be careful how you phrase it, if you decide to talk about other countries as well as NZ. The CO is looking for knowledge about NZ, and people who will make a solid and committed contribution to the country. Any impression that you haven't firmly decided may not be favourable.

what usually CO expect for such a question "Are you looking for further career advancement in NZ? Are you ok with lower level jobs?"

It will vary from person to person, depending on what level they have already reached in their career -and their level of ambition for responsibility, of course. Be careful to say that you want to make full use of your skill and experience, though, or the CO may not be impressed with you as a potential SKILLED migrant.

Thanks for the update