Thread: Oregon or NZ

Default Oregon or NZ

Hey guys, I've been a member for years, but never got around to posting. I've loved reading everything on this forum. I've lived in the concrete jungle of Southern California for 10 years now. I like the weather here, but that's all. If you were me, and wanted to live somewhere quieter, would you move to Oregon or New Zealand? Do you think it makes more sense to look for a better place closer to where you are now, rather than move somewhere completely different? If you could choose again, would you relocate in your own country rather than New Zealand?

Hello and welcome.

It's a very individual choice. A lot will depend on your own nature - how much of a change you're up for making.

Have you ever made a visit to NZ?

I grew up in Montana and spent many years living in Washington... New Zealand is a wonderful place but there are a couple of significant drawbacks: firstly, compared to the US, NZ is expensive - relatively lower salaries, higher taxes (maybe not so much compared to CA) and higher prices. Secondly, NZ is far away from almost everywhere. It can be difficult for some to be isolated from friends and family. Not trying to influence by any means. It's just that I believe these are two key factors that must be taken into account. With that said, I agree completely with the comment from JandM.

Thanks for your replies JandM and Bozeman. I visited NZ two years ago and I LOVED IT, but I don't think a short vacation is good preparation for real life. I think I'd like to live there, but I worry about money. Bozeman, do you think Americans who are even a little materialistic will be unhappy in New Zealand?

Your comparison of New Zealand and Oregon is apt, as they are both roughly the same distance from the equator and have very similar geography. I live in Seattle and love going down to Oregon. It is warmer and sunnier in Oregon, and there is far more open space (did you know Oregon is almost 50% larger than the State of Washington?) It's the 10th biggest state size wise, but 27th by population, whereas Washington is 13th by population and 20th biggest.

Anyway, for someone from Seattle, which is pretty hip and fab, to put the love on Oregon really says something. However, New Zealand has everything Oregon has, but a bit more of it (well, a lot more coastline), and a bit more dramatic. NZ and Oregon are almost the same population and size wise.

If you are young (below 50 even?) why not try the immigration thing. Do it now while you can. You always have Oregon to fall back on. New Zealand also offers a place to go in winter time. Not a big deal to a Californian, I guess. The biggest issue may be the political one. Why not establish yourself a base in New Zealand, and therefore have an option for when, or if, things just aren't going as you like. Then pick whichever place suits you better. Economically also, New Zealand offers an alternative option for jobs, or for bringing up kids who then have more options than just the USA.

An American who is a little materialistic is like a very materialistic person from anywhere else. New Zealand offers everything anyone could want. If you are too materialistic and can't get what you want in NZ, take a long vacation to somewhere else, or migrate again. It's a non-issue. Many materialistic people buy into New Zealand precisely because of the quiet, sparsely populated beauty it offers.

It's really not that big a step if you ask me. Same language, similar culture, etc..It's sort of a simple, gentle way to break into the immigration thing, with great side benefits.

One thing I like to tell people here in Seattle is that New Zealand is just a nights sleep away (the red-eye from Vancouver to Auckland).

Good luck with your choice.

I think the other question you want to ask yourself is how easily will it be to get a job in NZ vs. Oregon. And to help yourself plan for costs you can check out rentals on trademe.co.nz to get an idea of costs etc. That is a big part of the expenses in NZ. Moving from CA to NZ and taking a 20 foot container will cost approximately $9k, give or take depending on who you hire.
    So this gives you some additional information to think about. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I spent 10 glorious years in Seattle, WA and we moved last yr to NZ, loving that too.

I am happy that we moved but we were ready to move out of the US. If you are not ready for a huge change (half way across the world) then OR may be the better option. OR is a great state and love the scenery.

I have missed some things since moving here, mainly shopping (range of rather than quality) and central heating and double glazing. But I have found ordering certain things online has both saved money and satisfied my specific wants.
    I think if you are very materialistic (not saying you are!) then I think you may have a shock here with regard to how people don't care about what you drive, what you wear and how big your house is etc. I find this really refreshing but if you want the big house, large car, suv etc you are going to pay for it financially. certainly don't move to NZ for the salaries!!!!!

One of the main reasons we moved (originally from UK) from the USA was to get away from the materialism and fast pace of life.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Enzica, kiwihusker and Hagabel. I love this forum because of the meaningful, thoughtful replies that folks like you give.

I'm 32, with no kids, so it's easier to relocate now rather than later, and it's better to make mistakes, if that's what NZ would be, now rather than later. I would travel light, so that frightening container cost - I'm thankful for that. I wonder, Hagabel, if materialism is more about being ahead of other people than actually having the big house and the SUV? People who are middle class today have a better life than rich people in the 1800s, but we don't think we're rich, because we see all those people who have more than us. I like the thought of not caring so much about material things, and I'm hoping I'll be infected by the spirit of Kiwis and learn this.

(I'd best own up to it now. Everything I know about Seattle I learned from watching Frasier. )

(I'd best own up to it now. Everything I know about Seattle I learned from watching Frasier. )[/QUOTE]

Most people learn about Seattle from Grey's Anatomy!!!!

We lived in an affluent bedroom suburb of DC ( NOVA) and all peole cared about was what car you drove, how much you or your spouse earned etc. It was a lot of keeping up with the Joneses and it got old, fast.
    I think if you are flexible, adaptable and open minded NZ is a great place. (just my opinion). We are very happy here (hubby, 1 labrador and 2 kids)...now if I can find a house with central heating...LOL