Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Facts

Default Food Facts

How strict are MAFF about bringing foodstuff into the country? I understand the rules re: fresh food, but just wondered if I can pack a few essentials (declared of course) in with the shipping container?

And by essentials I mean a decent brew - of the Yorkshire variety -, my mum's amazing jams/chutneys and my hoard of spices, mostly.

Of course I COULD find alternatives when we get there, but you really haven't tasted my mum's whiskey marmalade...;-)

I think that you may find you could get sealed tea bags through, but I am unsure about home made preserves. I would also not be sure how they would react to container heat...crossing the equator means quite a bit of temperature abuse.

You may also find that your tea tastes different anyway because of the underlying water supply. I had good fun sampling the local brews until I found one I liked.

I would bring your Mum's recipes though...loads of good fruit and veg here in season!

When you read the MAF information in detail you will find that they are quite strict; in particular re - but not limited to - home made stuff.
    We even once got caught out because we had not realised - than recent - changes re countries of origin for a particular type of processed.

Ah, good point well made Mamee & Co. I hadn't thought about the heat/humidity en route. I would welcome local brew recommendations in that case!

What about the spices? Just being a bit of a cheapskate really if I can get away with not having to ditch my current supply, which is quite vast. Will check MAF website also.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    And by essentials I mean a decent brew - of the Yorkshire variety

I think thats the one of the thing I will miss, good ole 'Yorkshire Tea'!! (and thats coming from a Lancashire lass ha ha)

I've read here that others had no problem bringing their spices to NZ, excluding any spices with seeds. But having gone across the equator several times by ship I can vouch for the miserable heat and humidity so have decided not to pack any food. I can only imagine what it would be like inside a metal shipping container on an open deck.

Probably smells amazing though!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We brought our spices in no problem. We taped every container lid though (not sure what difference it makes but I'd seen it advised here). Also brought a load of dried food that was unopened, i.e. pasta. Not that it's any more expensive over here, but we'd stocked up on a few boxes we hadn't eaten so I thought it better to bring it than give it away.

Hi there,

We moved over at the end of last year and you cannot brig any homemade jams or preserves - they specifically check this. Also you can only bring ground spices. I was pretty distraught at ditching my vast spice collection but I have found the spices in Chinese or greengrocers shops much cheaper than the UK and cheaper.

As for tea, the soft water really interferes with the taste of tea, so even if you do bring your favourite brand it won't taste the same. To begin with I was planning lots of UK foods to stock the container with but in the end accepted that such a supply would run out in the end and I might as well embrace the local stuff. Haven't regretted it in the slightest, but I was concerned about it before we moved.

Hope this helps even if it wasn't what you wanted to hear!

And what about rice, dry beans, chick peas, lentils etc.. are they considered as seeds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast