Thread: My three questions before moving

Question My three questions before moving

Hi People!
    Good to be back in ENZ.
    I am all set to go to NZ by the end of June.
    Family will follow later in the summer.
    I have three major questions in my mind regarding moving right now.

1. Given that I move at the end of June, when is the best time to open an account in NZ bank while I am in Korea?
    Any suggestion on which bank? and what type of account needs to be created and how much it costs (just a range)?
    2. I don't have many things to ship from here. I think it is around 40 Kgs ( 2/3 cartons) to ship and I am thinking of using regular post (Korea post via ship).
    Is there a problem in that? They say 20 Kg costs be around NZD 50.
    I have things like books, clothes, some cooking utensils and a scooter. Scooter is the only outdoor equipment I want to ship. I have cleaned it thoroughly. Will there be a problem in that? Do I need to pay anything to custom(or some other body) when I receive it at NZ? Do I need to declare the worth of stuff? Can I make it such that I don't pay any tax there?
    3. I want to open an account in trademe (with the help of my friend in NZ) and look for flatmates vacancy and contact them via email/phone. I am trying to get a room before I reach there. Is this a good idea? Has anyone done this before? Will people be willing to accommodate a person without talking to him (also who is still not in the country)?

cheers

MK

On point 2, since you have Residence, you have the right to import all your ordinary personal goods without paying tax. More details on links off this page. http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx

Thanks JandM.
    I would love to hear from other members about their experience.
    In the mean time, I have booked the tickets. Arrival Day- 1st of July.

Cheers

Hi MK,
    Re (1), I'd choose a bank & contact them now. Usually no problem opening an account whilst still overseas, though you'll probably need to visit the branch & pick up cars etc when you arrive.
    Consumer NZ did a report on bank fees recently.
    Some charge a fee every month, some for each transaction, different fees for different types of transactions (eftpos, cheque etc).
    I guess they all have pros & cons, but if there's no other benefit, kiwibank is NZ-owned so worth a look if that matters to you (all the other major players are Aussie-owned).

Good luck with the move

kiwibank may be kiwi owned but their unsecured lending is GE which is american and their customer service centre is off shore...
    personally, whoever owns them, i prefer my money to go to new zealanders for jobs.

1. I work for a certain bank that did a massive community work day today so I'm just a tad biased

2. See J and M's response, above

3. I'd do the backpacker route first, tbh.

Best of luck! Where do you intend on settling?

Thanks for your valuable info.
    But I am still a bit confused about 2 stuff.
    1. Shipping - I have heard that MFAT is very strict about things being brought to NZ. What are the important things to be considered before packing things in a container or box to avoid troubles with MFAT?
    Since I do not have much stuff to ship, I will be using Korea Post (via Ship). Has anyone used local post instead of shipping company before?
    When it reaches to NZ post in Auckland, what will happen? Who will check the containers/ boxes? In fact, how does the process goes?
    2. Banking - I approached few banks in NZ and placed my queries to open an account. BNZ was first and most co-operative bank to approach me and I have opened an account with them. I wish to know, if the money I transfer from here (in Korea), will it be first converted into USD and then NZD? People here must have some experience in that, so I request you to share your experience. One of my friend suggested me to make a bank draft. Is that more convenient? What are the disadvantages of making a bank draft?
    Any suggestions/ experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

This will help you re item1
    http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...ed-to-know.pdf

There are various companys who will transfer money to new zealand usually at better rates than banks. Do a search here for money transfer or HIFX as there are plenty of threads here re transferring money

Shipping. MAF and the post. The only things normally required to be inspected are objects which could harbour life. They look at, for instance, garden furniture, the tyres on bikes, the treads on shoes - these things could have soil on them, which can have bacteria, seeds, spider webs, chrysalises, insects and their eggs. Anything of this kind has to have been thoroughly cleaned off, or the object will be fumigated at your cost, or confiscated if you don't want to pay. They also will not admit any fish or meat, live plants, or cooking ingredients which are seeds which could still germinate. When you pack, you should make a list of exactly what is in each box. From what you have said above, I guess they MIGHT want to inspect your cooking utensils, just to make sure they have no residue on them, and definitely your bike. All mail arriving in NZ from abroad goes through an X-ray, so the officials can see that the description fits what they can see, and there are sniffer dogs which check for food and drugs. The officials at the mail centre open and check anything they need to, and once they see everything is okay, they reseal the package and it goes on its way.

I know that people receiving packages through the mail on which there is customs duty to be paid get a letter notifying them, so they go along and pay, then they can collect or get delivery. I GUESS that in your case, as you won't be due for any duty, if you got a letter like that, you would have to go and show your visa etc., then it would all be cleared. However, when sending things to NZ for my son and d-i-l, which they didn't have room to put in their luggage, I was advised at the post office to write on the description form 'USED PERSONAL PROPERTY' (as well as the description of what it was), and no formalities at all happened in NZ.

We applied for a Westpac account about a month before we arrived. They opened a Savings account that we could send our money to, however there was a limit of 2 deposits that could be made while we were outside NZ. We arranged to visit the Howick branch to open a current account & get our bank cards, it took an hour or so, but they were very helpful.

Good luck with your adventure