Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they need to know...

Default Why do they need to know...

OH had some skype interview and one of the question asked was whether will we be selling our accomodation back here.
    I don't understand why the need to know and which answer do you guys think will be more favourable to us? Have any of you being asked the same question by prospective employers?

We have not seriously discussed this since we only recently lodged ITA; but our general thoughts is to rent it out to generate some income. Will that be perceived as not serious in migrating; having a backdoor open to return here?

Hi,
    There are many people here who are renting out their property back home wherever that may be. We are from the UK and have a property in the UK which we rent out but we were never asked that question and we never intend to return to the UK. I do not know of anyone here who has had a problem with coming here because they are renting out a property back home As far as I understand what you are saying it is employers asking you this and not immigration

Yes, it is employers asking this and not immigration.
    We find it kinda odd; and wonder how this would lead to their decision.

We will be renting our house back here in the UK but only because the market is not the best and would not make as much as we would like and also the exchange rate is not the best so we thought we would just sit and wait!! Its always a house to go back to "IF" need be but we very much doubt we will be coming back to the UK. Did they not ask that just to see if you have enough money to support yourselves if you're not working?

Goodluck with your application

The only reason I can think of for asking you this, is that the employer wants to be reassured that you're serious about committing yourself to the move (and the job on offer). There are lots of migrants here in New Zealand, lots of them on temporary visas, and I can understand that an employer wants to know what type of person you are: are you testing the water, or are you planning on staying here indefinitely?
    So there's no need to lie when answering that question, just make sure you give the right impression

Hi,
    Just to share another 'trick question' that employers may ask: Besides NZ, have you considered relocating to other countries?
    I was advised never to include Australia in the answer as they might think you are using NZ as a stepping stone.

I never understood that. Wouldn't you have to wait 5 years to become a citizen to do that?

I think it used to be possible with PR. But in any case, going once a citizen is still going.

Ahh.. too bad, OH didn't get the job.
    The employer mentioned that since the position was a contract job for the govt; the govt wants citizen to fill up the position instead. ((We could be citizen if u give us a chance!!! ))
    Not sure if thats their nice way to reject an applicant. But it's alright... just keep going.

We have no intention to use NZ as stepping stone to anywhere. But of course down the road, if NZ is not the place for us, we will have to move on. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by itsellesi View Post
    Ahh.. too bad, OH didn't get the job.
    The employer mentioned that since the position was a contract job for the govt; the govt wants citizen to fill up the position instead. ((We could be citizen if u give us a chance!!! ))
    Not sure if thats their nice way to reject an applicant. But it's alright... just keep going.

We have no intention to use NZ as stepping stone to anywhere. But of course down the road, if NZ is not the place for us, we will have to move on. Fingers crossed that won't be the case.
    Hi

See that you r from SG which is same as me... Just wondering, you are still in SG or in kiwi now? Also when you mention employer asking you question, it is through email or Skype and does it mean you had been selected for interview already or just a pre-interview question which they send out by email?

Reason I'm asking all these is because I had also been trying to find job in kiwi but so far all the reply back is "sorry I'm not selected" not even a chance given for interview to express myself.

The most is some pre-interview questions asking something like any prefer of location and why them etcs...

Had check with a few friends, reasons which we thinks are:

when kiwi see the phone number is not local they will just throw your cv out of the windows.

Or because we are not from UK and are Asian they have no confidence in your English even English is our primary language in SG but ya kiwi still don't understand so ya no choice.

Lastly is they want you to be in kiwi before they even consider you.

Lastly, even I had highlighted a lot of time I got my Residence visa approval already and planning the move, employer or even recruiter still asking you stupid questions why you choose nz and are you here to stay. It like wanting to tell them, you mean I'm so stupid to throw a few thousand dollar to INZ and all the trouble to get a Residence visa just for fun?
    Last edited by keigo; 15th May 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast