84. You may not vote on this poll
  • We moved to New Zealand to stay in New Zealand

73 86.90%
  • We moved to New Zealand as a deliberate stepping-stone to Australia

2 2.38%
  • We didn't begin by thinking of NZ as a stepping stone, but we do now

9 10.71%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you come to New Zealand with a view to moving to Australia?

Default Did you come to New Zealand with a view to moving to Australia?

A few posts I've read recently, like the one I just saw Janey post in the education section, have made me wonder about this.

Did you come to New Zealand in order to eventually move to Australia? I'll add that I didn't, although before we moved to New Zealand we researched Australia and Canada seriously too.

Nope, but that may be because a) hubby and I have already lived in Australia and come to the conclusion that we prefer NZ (though could probably manage Tasmania if we were to move back there..) and b) hubby is Kiwi, so half the whanau are here in NZ - none in Australia.

We looked at Oz as a stepping stone to NZ originally.
    When we first looked at applying in 2002 for NZ it seemed difficult to get in.
    Back then it was easier to apply to OZ, fly there and activate residence then hop to NZ.
    But few years later we applied straight for NZ and they let us in. (fools.... )

Nick.

We started our journey while thinking to move to Australia but later on felt more connected towards NZ and made our move with only motive of living and loving NZ.

Not at all. I want to be near my sister. I have rellies in Oz but not close ones. Like Oz but I couldn't see it as home.

No, we always wanted to live in NZ, but in the first two years we would have moved to Oz if there would have been a way for my OH to start working over there without all the mountains NZ made him climb...... But now- no intentions, really....

NZ first choice!

Well this is very interesting poll. We were in Sydney, Australia for almost 5 years, when we decided that we may need to settle down some where eventually. Hence we did a pros & cons list and included economic conditions, work life balance , taxes, weather, etc and (Mercers report). After detail research between AUS, NZ, UK, US & Singapore and India. We decided we will go for NZ and applied for NZ PR.. ( we also applied AUS PR after 6 months as NZ PR was taking a long time to be processed and AUS PR meant NZ entry too!) We moved to Auckland this Feb -2010, and we are enjoying our time here. ( OH -Not so happy with continious rain in Auckland, but hope we have a good summer 2012!).

It seems easier to get into OZ, especially without a job offer (yet). For this reason the whole idea of using NZ as a stepping stone to OZ doesn't seem likelly.
    If we liked OZ so much, we'd be staying in America. New Zealand all the way for us!

I want to move to NZ, not OZ. Still, it's a bonus for the kids that they'll be able to live and work in NZ, OZ or anywhere in the European Union. They can't all go down the pan surely?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast