Thread: Applying for PR while on Student Visa.

Default Applying for PR while on Student Visa.

Hello, I'm turning 17 years old this July. I'm planning to study in University of Auckland next year. I'm gonna take up BS Health Sciences(y1) then hopefully Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery(y2-y6) after that. Can I apply for a PR while on Student Visa? MBChB is a very expensive degree so I'm just wondering if I can so I can be considered as domestic student. Also, I'm not planning to leave NZ after the degree because I have a Kiwi boyfriend, same age as I. If yes, I would like to know how many years would it take me(from the time of arrival) to get a PR. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by iloveakiwi; 9th May 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Hello and welcome.

Residence visas (and work visas) are a kind of swap for being employed to use a skill that is useful to NZ. While you are studying, you aren't available for skilled employment, so no, you can't apply for Residence under the Skilled Migrant scheme while on a student visa.

Also, having been granted a study visa doesn't confer any future rights on you. When your course is over, if you want to stay, you can look at what opportunities there are for you to work in New Zealand. The fact that you have studied and gained a qualification in New Zealand will work in your favour when applying for another visa. But it does not in itself guarantee that another visa will be granted or that you will be given Residence. Links off this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ show you the various kinds of visa that are available, and the qualifications necessary to get them.

If in due course you and your boyfriend decide your relationship is going to be a long term partnership, you could at that point look at the Family Stream option, which would allow you to apply for Residence as the partner of a NZ national - you wouldn't be eligible for that yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

Residence visas (and work visas) are a kind of swap for being employed to use a skill that is useful to NZ. While you are studying, you aren't available for skilled employment, so no, you can't apply for Residence under the Skilled Migrant scheme while on a student visa.

Also, having been granted a study visa doesn't confer any future rights on you. When your course is over, if you want to stay, you can look at what opportunities there are for you to work in New Zealand. The fact that you have studied and gained a qualification in New Zealand will work in your favour when applying for another visa. But it does not in itself guarantee that another visa will be granted or that you will be given Residence. Links off this page http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/ show you the various kinds of visa that are available, and the qualifications necessary to get them.

If in due course you and your boyfriend decide your relationship is going to be a long term partnership, you could at that point look at the Family Stream option, which would allow you to apply for Residence as the partner of a NZ national - you wouldn't be eligible for that yet, though.
    It says we have to be atleast 1 year together in a strong and stable relationship. Can I apply for partner visa(after a year) while on student visa? Can I still study while on partner visa?

You couldn't be considered under this scheme until both of you are at least 17 years old. I think that, from the time the younger of you turns 17, you would then have to put in the 12 months, then show the proofs mentioned in the regulations linked to here.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Residence » Family Categories » F2 Partnership Category » F2.5 How do partners of New Zealand citizens and residents qualify for a residence class visa? and use the down arrow on the screen (just below the heading) to go through all the subsequent relevant pages down to F2.40.

There's no such thing as a 'partner visa'. Being sponsored by a partner is just ONE route to qualify for (in this case) Residence (there's a partner-sponsorship route to a Temporary Work Visa, too). The Residence which someone gets by this route is the same Residence as e.g. via Skilled Migrant - it gives full rights to be part of NZ society. A Resident can study, work at anything, start a business, or opt out, and can use the NZ Health Service on the same terms locals do. (Notice, though, that a Resident is not eligible for any student grants until they have been in NZ with Residence for two years. So, with Residence, you would immediately qualify for domestic rates, but would not immediately get any help from NZ with financing the course(s) - you would need to sort that out for yourself.) Also, after two years as a Resident, if all necessary condtions are met http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nts/nextsteps/, the person can obtain Permanent Residence.